VOGONS

First post, by aerosim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I recently acquired an Addonics Yamaha YMF-718S ISA sound card, and was looking to pair it up with another on the PCI bus.

I've got 1 ISA and 6 PCI on the board.

What recommendations are out there? Ideally will be using DOS 6.22, though may install Win 98 SE at a later stage. I don't mind editing autoexec.bat and config.sys to make it work, pretty good at that stuff.

Thanks

Last edited by aerosim on 2019-02-28, 09:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Owl (Build in progress)
P3 750MHz
384MB PC100 SDRAM
Diamond Viper V770 32MB TNT2 AGP
Voodoo 2 (Ordered)
80GB IDE + 20GB IDE
Creative Labs Sound Blaster AWE32 CT3910
Sound Blaster Fatal1ty with IO Panel

Reply 1 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What PCI sound card do you want to use ? Some don't play well with DOS. What yiu need to do is to give both sound cards different addresses, IRQs and DMAs

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 6, by aerosim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm fine with the configuration side of things, I was thinking a sound blaster of some sort? But unsure which models are supported?

Owl (Build in progress)
P3 750MHz
384MB PC100 SDRAM
Voodoo 2 (Ordered)
80GB IDE + 20GB IDE
Sound Blaster Fatal1ty with IO Panel

Reply 3 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PCI sound blaster suck. It's not useful at all under DOS with that YMF installed. It might be useful under Windows 98 though, but I still don't really like that card.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 6, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are not using windows 95/98, there is no point adding an advanced PCI sound card.

Sblive/audigy are good and cheap for windows 98. Vortex 1/2 have fantastic output, but are expensive.

Reply 5 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

YMF 7x4 could have been cool, but you just use DOS. Under DOS, there is no point into having a YMF7x4 PCI over a YMF71x ISA

Reply 6 of 6, by aerosim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Thanks all.

Owl (Build in progress)
P3 750MHz
384MB PC100 SDRAM
Voodoo 2 (Ordered)
80GB IDE + 20GB IDE