VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do 430HX motherboards generally work with 128 MB modules? In particular, I have an Asus P/I-P55T2P4. The manual lists up to 64 MB modules.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 12, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

64mb+ simms were extraordinarily rare and $1000+ a stick when these systems were released
many times they had support before the Simms were being sold meaning it can be hit or miss

Usually 128mb Simms aren’t fully standard, so if your board supports odd memory types you might be good but no way to know without testing it.

I had one system that supported k6-2 chips with a bios update but after that update 128mb sticks became unstable

Back to the old bios and the larger memory worked fine.

Reply 2 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, the 430HX chipset supports up to 512 MB if I'm not mistaken. Has anyone seen a motherboard containing a 430HX chipset which contained eight SIMM sockets?

Reply 3 of 12, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

Well, the 430HX chipset supports up to 512 MB if I'm not mistaken. Has anyone seen a motherboard containing a 430HX chipset which contained eight SIMM sockets?

For what it’s worth Mine had 6 72 pin Simms , I’ve also owned an HX with 5v Dimm sockets
(for edo dimms only, I was a dumb teen at the time and tried sdram, which didn’t work, thankfully no damage)

Now it does appear yours supports 128mb Simms

This guy using your mobo had 512mb of ecc registered fpm, so yep does work.

My oldskool gaming Peecee...

Good Luck

Reply 4 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh, nice find! What about this chipset supporting 3.3V EDO and FPM modules rather than the standard 5V pieces?

Reply 6 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think they are all that rare. They appear rare because sellers don't bother to look up the specs and assume they are 5 V. I have ended up with a 256 MB set of 3.3 V FPM and a 256 MB set of 3.3 V EDO. They were advertised as 5 V. Does the chipset support 3.3 V SIMMs?

Reply 7 of 12, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Chipset is irrelevant the board would list a voltage setting if it supports it

I doubt it and I have run 3.3 volt memory at 5 Volts for years.

http://www.tsukumo.co.jp/20thanniversary/comp … ASUS_manual.pdf

There is no such thing as a 3.3 volt simm and your board only works with Simms

Reply 8 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the transition between simms and dimms, both formats had both voltages.

There are 5v dimms, I own some
There are 3.3v Simms, I own some.

But to answer the issue, if its a simm, Its highly likely to be 5v, conversely dimms are highly likely to be 3.3v.

If the motherboard supports different voltages, it will have jumpers to select the proper voltage. I know, because I have several motherboards that take simms and are selectable between 3.3 and 5v.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 9 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
In the transition between simms and dimms, both formats had both voltages. […]
Show full quote

In the transition between simms and dimms, both formats had both voltages.

There are 5v dimms, I own some
There are 3.3v Simms, I own some.

But to answer the issue, if its a simm, Its highly likely to be 5v, conversely dimms are highly likely to be 3.3v.

If the motherboard supports different voltages, it will have jumpers to select the proper voltage. I know, because I have several motherboards that take simms and are selectable between 3.3 and 5v.

That is pretty much what I thought the situation was.

I was also wondering about the chipset. Like how some chipsets seem to require mixed-mode SRAM, e.g. the SRAM runs at 5 V, but outputs at 3.3 V. For motherboards which take, both, 3.3 V or 5.0 V SIMMs, I assume it is the motherboard which adds, say, a double-series-diode implementation to drop 5 V to 3.3 V (selectable via a jumper, or automatic), or is it that the chipset's northbridge has a wide range of voltage acceptance for I/O? Is there any analogous mixed-mode FPM or EDO IC's?

Reply 10 of 12, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

well, specifically, the board I have at hand uses 7x 74F244's between the chipset and memory. I would wager they are doing the heavy lifting here.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 11 of 12, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quality boards use buffer IC's, but I've seen some PC Chips boards which use a resistor and call it done.