VOGONS

First post, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I'm doing a bit of research on which is the ideal high performance card for a win9x build, trying out all the win9x games on different hardware configurations. Nvidia gf4 and fx cards do great, I dont have a working 6000 series card yet, and Im already spotting problems on 7000 series. But, when it comes to ati radeon cards such as 9000 and x800 series, I havent done too much testing yet, but the few games Ive tried seem to run really nice. I've heard the problem with these cards is dx3/5 games and some opengl games. Can you guys list some examples known to not work well on ati cards? Windows only, no DOS games please. It would help my testing a lot if I can try out the known problematic games first.

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 1 of 4, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Final fantasy 8 is an example.

The reason is, that ATI cards don't natively support 8 bit palletized textures and table fog. One of the 2 had a software emulation but I don't remember the deatails. The same problem will occur in geforce cards newer than the Geforce 5 (FX) series, as that is the last generation with hardware support for those 2 features.

Reply 2 of 4, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-8 bit palletized textures - afaik only like 2-3 games are affected by that, and said games are probably better on console anyways?
-table fog - I couldnt find a list of games with that. I did learn tho, that the older radeons like 8500 can enable table fog support with a registry tweak of some sort

Reply 4 of 4, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, theres a few... but overall, not too many. I will try to get these working to see whats the deal with them. BTW is that all? 2-3 games requiring palletized textures, and 5-6 requiring table fog? I was under the impression theres plenty of games that would work on nvidia 6000 series but not on ati radeons... guess this was about the DOS VESA games