775 to 771 mod - BIOS microcode issues

Discussion about old PC hardware.

775 to 771 mod - BIOS microcode issues

Postby ninkeo » 2019-3-06 @ 07:14

I recently patched and updated the BIOS onto my Asus Striker II motherboard I've modded to take a Xeon X5450, however with this patch applied the system will fail to boot, only getting a successful post in every 5 or so times I try it (this is what I had issues with in my last topic about the capacitor missing, it's replaced now). If I can get it to boot with it, there's a 90% chance it won't survive a reboot, instead it gets stuck again. Without the microcodes I only get the 'unknown CPU' error and it'll work perfectly fine, clock speed and cores correctly detected.

Now is it absolutely necessary to have the Xeon microcodes added to the BIOS if everything appears to be working fine without it? I can even overclock the CPU on the stock BIOS, something I couldn't even attempt on the modded one (running 3.6 daily but I can get 4.3 out of it without touching the voltage :cool: ). I'm using and have modded the latest available BIOS revision, just to add.
ninkeo

Re: 775 to 771 mod - BIOS microcode issues

Postby dr_st » 2019-3-06 @ 08:08

If it works perfectly fine, then I guess the microcodes are not absolutely necessary. It's not like the machine is running anything mission-critical (I hope); if you later notice some problems, you can re-evaluate.
dr_st
Oldbie

Postby ninkeo » 2019-3-07 @ 09:21

dr_st wrote:If it works perfectly fine, then I guess the microcodes are not absolutely necessary. It's not like the machine is running anything mission-critical (I hope); if you later notice some problems, you can re-evaluate.

I've done a whole heap of testing on it today, both with and without the patch and I honestly can't tell a difference performance-wise. Stability is significantly better without it, so I think Asus might have included enough codes in the stock BIOS that the Xeon is willing to play ball with. I figured I might as well leave it alone if it isn't having stability issues.
ninkeo

Postby bofh.fromhell » 2019-3-07 @ 12:36

IIRC from my own tinkering with this (several boards and CPU's).
You can miss out on a few CPU features and power tricks.
Run CPU-z and check if you get SSE 4.1, EIST etc.

When you modded the BIOS, did you remove some other CPU microcodes to make room for the new ?
bofh.fromhell

Postby rasz_pl » 2019-3-07 @ 12:59

W10 and Linux will upload latest microcode(that they know of) while booting, no idea about earlier OSes
was a pain when overclocking pentium g3258 and some later microcode disabled it on non K boards
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... st-3414949
rasz_pl

Postby swaaye » 2019-3-07 @ 19:19

Yeah I tried this with a Dell G45 board and had no luck with integrating microcode. It was extremely slow with the microcode added. The stock BIOS didn't support the Xeon well enough to boot most modern OSs but was fast with XP. I'm sure I tried Win10. Without microcode updates to the BIOS, the CPU will usually be missing features.
swaaye

Postby havli » 2019-3-07 @ 19:41

I remember running Xeon X5450 on Gigabyte P35 board without modding BIOS... and there was missing SSE4.1 support. However when the application asked directly to use SSE4.1, it was there with performance as expected. https://hwbot.org/submission/3417804_ha ... _10.88_fps
HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware
havli
Oldbie

Postby ninkeo » 2019-3-07 @ 22:26

bofh.fromhell wrote:IIRC from my own tinkering with this (several boards and CPU's).
You can miss out on a few CPU features and power tricks.
Run CPU-z and check if you get SSE 4.1, EIST etc.

When you modded the BIOS, did you remove some other CPU microcodes to make room for the new ?

I never thought to run CPU-Z to be honest, after running it I can confirm all of the instruction sets appear to the OS, although CPU-Z seems to get the CPU wrong (Windows and BIOS shows a X5450, but CPU-Z shows E5450, happens with the codes too). It also reports that the core voltage seems to be a bit higher than with the codes, 1.24v vs 1.13v. That's something I can fix through the BIOS though, no big issue.

With the modded BIOS, was I supposed to remove some old useless CPUs from the supported list? If so, I didn't do that :dead:
Attachments
unpatched.PNG
patched.PNG
ninkeo

Postby bofh.fromhell » 2019-3-08 @ 14:56

ninkeo wrote:With the modded BIOS, was I supposed to remove some old useless CPUs from the supported list? If so, I didn't do that :dead:

It's a bios size thing IIRC.
Tho if you want to be sure you could just download a premodded file.
http://tanieprocesory.pl/en/bios2-2/
Even if you dont want to flash a downloaded modded BIOS you can use it as a reference for your own modding =)

And if you do use a modded bios.
Could you take HWInfo system summary screens of before and after ?
I'm just curious !

Got my own modded system on HWBOT (2x #1 for Quadro FX5800 !):
bofh.fromhell

Postby retardware » 2019-3-08 @ 15:58

There is a bios modding section in this forum, where some very experienced bios modders hang out: https://www.win-raid.com/forum.php
Definitely worth reading!
Regarding microcodes, you might find what you are looking for here: https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes
retardware
Oldbie

Postby ninkeo » 2019-3-12 @ 07:49

Apologies for not replying sooner guys, had a bit of a busy weekend.
bofh.fromhell wrote:
ninkeo wrote:With the modded BIOS, was I supposed to remove some old useless CPUs from the supported list? If so, I didn't do that :dead:

It's a bios size thing IIRC.
Tho if you want to be sure you could just download a premodded file.
http://tanieprocesory.pl/en/bios2-2/
Even if you dont want to flash a downloaded modded BIOS you can use it as a reference for your own modding =)

And if you do use a modded bios.
Could you take HWInfo system summary screens of before and after ?
I'm just curious !

Got my own modded system on HWBOT (2x #1 for Quadro FX5800 !):

I just tried the premodded file from there, same result as last time. Seems to be a bug with this board and the Xeon microcodes preventing it from working quite right. I even tried one with just the Xeon codes in there to no avail. Might be time to give the system to my friend who's done this mod to a different ASUS board and see if he can get it working correctly.
ninkeo

Postby AlphaPapa » 2019-3-14 @ 14:07

My vote would also be without the bios mod if its stable and not missing any features.
I have an x5460 in a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P dropped in with no bios mod. Don't recall if SSE 4.1 is detected or working though.
AlphaPapa

Return to General Old Hardware