VOGONS

First post, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just picked up a new old stock Intel PD440FX motherboard. I initially wanted to use it with a P2 350 I had around, but after checking the board's manual, it indicates that it supports Pentium II "operating at 233 or 266mhz." I use the quotes because that's the exact wording in the manual. Now I don't have my SIMM memory yet, so I cannot test it, but I'm worndering if I can still use the p2 350, but just operating at a lower clock? Would this work? If so, are there any other considerations? Any help would be appreciated--thanks.

Reply 1 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PII 350 will possibly work with 66MHz bus, but that would give you a 233MHz chip. The 440FX is OLD! I didn't even know you could get one with a SLOT1. I thought they all had Pentium Pro sockets. I always assumed 440LX was the first intel chipset to accept PII, but I guess I am mistaken! Surprisingly the board is even made by intel!

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 17, by kegepet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I was pretty confused when I saw it too. The guy selling it didn't know what he had and had it listed as "Slot 1 motherboard." I had to have a close look at his pictures and then do some homework to find out what it was. Finally, I got it for just $30US. It's got a built-in opl3 (onboard sound is pretty rare for this era I think) in addition to 3 ISAs. Anyway, when I get the memory, I guess I'll try out with the 350, although cpu-world does not list the 440FX as a supported chipset for that cpu, whereas for the p2 266, it is listed as a supported chipset. This substantiates the information in the manual. I'll see what happens. Thanks.

Reply 3 of 17, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Celeron 433 might work as a drop in CPU?

Otherwise I think a basic slot 1-370 adapter could work with a 533/566mhz celeron, after that you might be spending big bucks for something faster.

Reply 5 of 17, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This brings back the memories of the seemingly infinite time between the pii233 release and the pii300 of the original generation. Further the rarity of the systems at release

A 300 66mhz fsb should work fine as it’s in the same family
As should a 333 despite it being the next generation

Reply 6 of 17, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You won't know for sure until you try. Maybe intel was being a bitch and did something sneaky with the BIOS to stop the board from booting with "unsupported" CPUs. There is no reason why faster CPUs shouldn't work as long as the board supports the correct voltages.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 17, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Deskpro 4000 has a 440FX slot 1 board. It works fine with 233-300MHz Klamath PIIs, but it just won't recognize the L2 cache on Deschutes (333+ PII), Mendocino (Celeron), or Katmai (PIII). I'm not sure if that's a 440FX thing or a Compaq thing.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to Intel the board is listed as supporting up to Pentium II 333 MHz with 512KB L2 cache (qualified) and Celeron 333MHz (unqualified)

PD440FX_jmp.jpg
Filename
PD440FX_jmp.jpg
File size
103.91 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 10 of 17, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

You won't know for sure until you try. Maybe intel was being a bitch and did something sneaky with the BIOS to stop the board from booting with "unsupported" CPUs. There is no reason why faster CPUs shouldn't work as long as the board supports the correct voltages.

The voltages are what I'd be worried about, it's 2.0V for the 350 instead of the older models' 2.8V. The FX is so old that they may didn't even think about supporting lower voltages in its time.

I've seen a Slot1 440FX board toom btw, but it was some proprietary stuff. An EDO RAM P2 would be an interesting test subject, though. And I like the 350 too, if it takes 133MHz FSB it's pretty versatile, ranging from the smallest P2 at 233MHz to slightly above the latest and greatest at 466. For not only Celerons are overclockable 😀

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 11 of 17, by BastlerMike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It all depends on VRM and Bios, the chipset does not matter in that case. Intel boards are known to be pretty unflexible, but on my Asus KN97 I can even run Tualatin CPUs on Slot adapter without hardware modifications.
If your VRM only supports 2.8V you are stuck with 333 MHz Klamath P2.

Reply 12 of 17, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have i440FX Slot 1 board, it is OEM design though (Dell). http://hw-museum.cz/mb/30/dell-poweredge-2200 I never tried running anything faster that PII 266 which came with it... and I don't really see the point anyway. i440FX is the slowest chipset by far for Slot 1. In my tests on average 2x PII 233 + i440BX is just as fast as 2x PII 266 + i440FX.

Anyway - PII Klamath is nice match for this board and it will make good retro system.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 13 of 17, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
alvaro84 wrote:

I've seen a Slot1 440FX board toom btw, but it was some proprietary stuff. An EDO RAM P2 would be an interesting test subject, though. And I like the 350 too, if it takes 133MHz FSB it's pretty versatile, ranging from the smallest P2 at 233MHz to slightly above the latest and greatest at 466. For not only Celerons are overclockable 😀

The 440LX also support EDO RAM but EDO DIMMs are kind of rare.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you are stuck with 333 MHz Klamath P2.

Klamath 333 does not exist.

Surprisingly the board is even made by intel!

It's based on their earlier Pentium Pro 440FX board.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 15 of 17, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PD440FX will only work with Klamath 233 and 266 Pentium II CPUs

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 17 of 17, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 300 MHz Klamath and 333 MHz Deschutes will also work in the PD440FX. You need to update to the latest BIOS to support those CPUs. The Intel PD440FX manual spec update explains this and includes the appropriate jumper settings, just like PC Hoarder Patrol posted above. I've tested this personally on my own PD440FX board.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/177 … d?product=50450