VOGONS

First post, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, long story short, I got a Schneider EuroXT with a 21MB HDD and a 720k Floppy. It was in pretty much good condition, not real dust inside, battery was clipped as soon as I opened, and it had some really minor corrosion next to it which was treated with vinegar and Isopropyl alcohol. (https://photos.app.goo.gl/kymkCBBPxokzNjtX9)

I've connected a 8-bit ISA card (which was tested working), and pushed the power button. It turned on but no image showed up. Hard disk wasn't spinning up either (which some lighter taps fixed).
Measuring the PSU, all the rails were over voltage, minus the 12v one which was around 11.5v.

Made a video of it "booting" for the #win31 channel guys here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWBwl4grHQ

While this photo isn't mine, I have exactly the same one: http://www.strauch.de/schneider_euro_xt.htm / My board: https://photos.app.goo.gl/iz3jpngi8m6wkFJ78

Things I've tried:

- Pushing all the socketed chips down
- I've frankensteined a cheap atx psu and connected the right voltages to the right pins as the board has a non-standard connector, still no boot (and strangely, 12v was still 11.5v rail on that one).

And I got some questions too:

I'm guessing a normal AT keyboard won't work even though the plug is the same right?
Would there be something to switch on the motherboard so it doesn't use the CGA internal video and uses a ISA Video card instead?
Would it need a bios battery to show up something on the display?

Reply 1 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xeon3d wrote:

I'm guessing a normal AT keyboard won't work even though the plug is the same right?

Yes, don't connect anything to the keyboard port until you get this to show something. Also disconnect everything else, like the floppy + hdd

xeon3d wrote:

Would there be something to switch on the motherboard so it doesn't use the CGA internal video and uses a ISA Video card instead?

Assuming that you have the speaker connected and it works, your problem is not that it uses the internal chip and you don't get a picture from the VGA. Let me explain why: without the battery it produces a lot of beeps complaining about the obviously wrong bios settings even without a monitor connected. Your machine doesn't even reach there.

xeon3d wrote:

Would it need a bios battery to show up something on the display?

No, and I'm a 100% certain about this one.

Reply 2 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If this thing has built-in CGA there might be address conflict with any ISA-based video card for both BIOS and video RAM decoding. Remove that card and try again. Any beeping or FDD/HDD activity would be a positive sign it actually works.

Reply 3 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can only second and emphasize what @konc said.

Schneider's marketing strategy of using cheap incompatible proprietary OEM stuff to lock the customers into buying only Schneider peripherals fired back.
By the time they released their first actually compatible PC their reputation was ruined so thoroughly that it didn't help them anymore finally having accepted to conform with industry standards.
Back then I usually shrugged my arms and refused to fix Schneider stuff if the problem was not obvious and easily-fixable.
It just would have cost too much time and effort to be economical in any sense fixing that crap.

So Schneider vintage stuff is only for dedicated experts imho.

Reply 4 of 8, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, Schneider stuff was very difficult sometimes. 😵
On the other hand, though, the proprietary nature gave it a soul, a personality.
The tiny floppy cable that included power pins, for example, was much easier to handle than the IBM standard cable.
Also interesting were the on-board graphics and mouse port. Since I have no matching device of either,
I can't judge, but perhaps they had better performance than the competition of the time (I'm thinking of the mouse thread over here).
Fixing.. It took me a few weeks to fix the PSU for my Tower model. The biggest stumbling stone was myself, though.
I didn't grew up with the knowledge of a 70s engineer/technican, so I didn't recognize the nifty tricks that were known by these guys.
After getting external help and some datasheets/manuals I was able to basically rebuilt the PSU.
So far, it works and the voltages are correct (ISA POST cards are awesome! 😁 ).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 8, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't really have the time to troubleshoot it, nor to recap anything.
I might give a go at Frankensteining a PSU that has good rails measured and if it doesn't work I'll leave it at that.

Many thanks for your time and input but it seems it's going on eBay soon.

If someone from here wants it, do let me know.

Reply 6 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xeon3d wrote:

- I've frankensteined a cheap atx psu and connected the right voltages to the right pins as the board has a non-standard connector, still no boot (and strangely, 12v was still 11.5v rail on that one).

xeon3d wrote:

I might give a go at Frankensteining a PSU that has good rails measured and if it doesn't work I'll leave it at that.

I thought you already did that? That's why I didn't say anything about the PSU

Reply 8 of 8, by xeon3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got myself an ISA Diagnostic Board and with the original PSU, all the voltage-related leds light up, clk, irdy, frame light up too, but it shows no bios post codes...

I've tried it with and without the ISA VGA Adapter...

Any ideas on where to go next?