VOGONS

First post, by GTPZ71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am curious, how slow have people gotten their CPUs. Post your 3D Benchmark scores and let's see who goes the lowest.

I got a score of .3 from a Pentium II 233 with 440BX chipset.

Reply 2 of 6, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't bring such a low result but I got 1.2 with a 8088-10 and an ATi Graphics Ultra. I didn't go for slow, though. I tried to reach the highest score with my turbo XT instead. With a NEC V20 I could even get 1.4. God knows what result I could get at 4.77MHz with my slowest 8-bit VGA, which happens to be an Intel Kama. One day I may try it.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 3 of 6, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GTPZ71 wrote:

Could you please reveal how you achieved that, and which issues because of low speed you got, and how you managed to fix these?
I am highly interested because of my upcoming freeclocking PC project.

Reply 4 of 6, by GTPZ71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retardware wrote:
GTPZ71 wrote:

Could you please reveal how you achieved that, and which issues because of low speed you got, and how you managed to fix these?
I am highly interested because of my upcoming freeclocking PC project.

Honestly, I haven't tested the CPU on any games other than run the 3D Benchmark when I had it down clocked that far. I achieved that low score by setting the multiplier jumpers to 3x, which I think is the lowest the motherboard goes (Gigabyte GA686BX). Using Throttle, I used the lowest setting it offered which was approx. 86% throttled. I also used SlowDOS to slow things down further, I used the default setting which is 12, although I just found out it will go to 99. I can't imagine going much slower, it took over 5 minutes to run the 3D benchmark test. I've been wanting to test Wing Commander and other speed sensitive games, but at the moment I don't have anyway of getting those games onto the DOS rig. Within a week I will have a compact flash adapter.

Reply 5 of 6, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got .7 with my i815 + Celeron 800 setup @533Mhz (66 FSB), 87.5% skipped cycles via Throttle, both caches disabled via Setmul, RAM @100 & CL3 and no software slowdown.

GTPZ71, have you tested your setup without the SlowDOS util? If so, what was the lowest score?

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 6 of 6, by GTPZ71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Revolter wrote:

I got .7 with my i815 + Celeron 800 setup @533Mhz (66 FSB), 87.5% skipped cycles via Throttle, both caches disabled via Setmul, RAM @100 & CL3 and no software slowdown.

GTPZ71, have you tested your setup without the SlowDOS util? If so, what was the lowest score?

The lowest score I've got without SlowDOS is 18.9, but that is without disabling L1 cache. I haven't tried disabling L1 cache as I've heard some games force L1 cache to enable. I will see what I get for a score with L1 cache disabled in the next couple days.