VOGONS

Fixing GMB-486UNP

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apologies if updating this thread ruffles any feathers, but here's a hacked version of that BIOS, which re-enables some hidden features that would otherwise help performance, such as HDD Block Mode, Cache Burst Control and a few others.

I've tested this on my repaired GMB-486UNP v2.2 board, and it seems to work like a charm. After tweaking the formerly-hidden options, the performance is right back to where it was with the AMI BIOS prior to the upgrade. Except now I get early LBA support among a few other niceties. 😁

Attachments

• Filename
    GMB-486UNPv2.x.zip
    File size
    42.46 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 21 of 35, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In this case it doesn't because your post is not of the : me too! can you help me with <totally unrelated issue>?

You actually added useful info. May I ask how you patched/hacked that bios? Did you use rom.by BP patcher or something else?

Reply 22 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eep386 wrote on 2020-08-19, 23:29:

Apologies if updating this thread ruffles any feathers

Eh, can't speak for everyone but my personal (in)tolerance is something like 3-4 years since last reply. A 2019 thread? You're good, dude.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 23 of 35, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Come on it's not quite dead yet 🤣

I still have to figure out what causes the turbo button to be stuck on slow constantly, but I don't have much time, so it's "on hold" for me. If you have any idea, please share 😉

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 24 of 35, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
evasive wrote on 2020-10-29, 08:20:

In this case it doesn't because your post is not of the : me too! can you help me with <totally unrelated issue>?

You actually added useful info. May I ask how you patched/hacked that bios? Did you use rom.by BP patcher or something else?

Hello!

I used AWDHACK with some other tools (MODBIN I think it was). Just re-enabled the hidden options.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 25 of 35, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote on 2020-10-31, 18:46:

Come on it's not quite dead yet 🤣

I still have to figure out what causes the turbo button to be stuck on slow constantly, but I don't have much time, so it's "on hold" for me. If you have any idea, please share 😉

Not sure what might cause that - something's shorted somewhere.
It may be possible to mod the BIOS so that it ignores the Turbo switch and runs in a fixed speed instead, but I couldn't tell you if that would work or not.

Reply 26 of 35, by NewtoM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool! It would be nice to have an Y2K patch for this BIOS, too. 😁

Eep386 wrote on 2020-08-19, 23:29:

Apologies if updating this thread ruffles any feathers, but here's a hacked version of that BIOS, which re-enables some hidden features that would otherwise help performance, such as HDD Block Mode, Cache Burst Control and a few others.

I've tested this on my repaired GMB-486UNP v2.2 board, and it seems to work like a charm. After tweaking the formerly-hidden options, the performance is right back to where it was with the AMI BIOS prior to the upgrade. Except now I get early LBA support among a few other niceties. 😁

Reply 28 of 35, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well if you can find out where the turbo button connects to on the chipset, that would help me a lot ^^

Now it may not be a direct connection, but there's no way I can figure that out myself with a broken circuit.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 29 of 35, by NewtoM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Deksor,

I measured around a bit and I did indeed find a direct connection. Please see attached pictures.
I hope it helps!

NewtoM

Deksor wrote on 2020-11-13, 10:05:

Well if you can find out where the turbo button connects to on the chipset, that would help me a lot ^^

Now it may not be a direct connection, but there's no way I can figure that out myself with a broken circuit.

Attachments

Reply 32 of 35, by steepf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, i have same motherboard. but on my board absent two items, marked as Q5 and CU35, who already has this board may be you could help me and tell me what it is the element?

Attachments

Reply 33 of 35, by jg77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I have this exact same motherboard, version 2.2, and the exact same issue. So no post, nothing on screen, nothing comes out the beep speaker. I also checked voltages, and every things seems to be where you expect it. Also the turbo switch pins are connected. There was minimal to no damage from the battery (which is removed). The bios chip is on the board (Award bios), but I read a current on almost every pin, and with my current knowledge I don't know if that is supposed to be like that. The current I read is varying between 2,7 and 5 volts, depending on the pin (ground has no current).

There was 1 give away why this board wasn't working, a trace on the backside of the board, half under the cpu socket, was blown out the board. I fixed that with a wire and all traces have continuity where you expect it.
When I run power through the board the cpu gets warm (currently using an intel DX2 66mhz)

Anyone here still investigating this board and its issues like Deksor described?

Gray haired collector.

Few items from my collection; IBM 5150, 5160, 5170, Model 30 286, 5151, 5153, Compaq Portable III, SLT/286, Olivetti M24, M240, M290s.

Reply 35 of 35, by jg77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just bought a simple ISA POST-check card on Amazon. It pointed me to a keyboard error 05.. I replaced the keyboard bios with a known working one and presto, I now have another working VLB board!

Gray haired collector.

Few items from my collection; IBM 5150, 5160, 5170, Model 30 286, 5151, 5153, Compaq Portable III, SLT/286, Olivetti M24, M240, M290s.