VOGONS

First post, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm building up a Jetway J-542B system, and looking at the manual: http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/Jetway/ … nual/index3.htm on page 7, it seems that for a 500Mhz AMD K6-2, i'd need to set the FSB to 100Mhz, and the clock ratio to 5.0? Is that correct? (along with the voltage to 2.2v (as specified on the CPU itself)

Is that correct? I'm not familiar with the triptych of Voltage, FSB & clock ratio, and how they relate re. over/underclocking & not frying stuff. I'd just like to run the CPU at the stock 500Mhz.

Reply 2 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, should work. I ran a K6-2 550 on this board back in the day.

As for frying, voltage is the thing to watch. If you try to run too fast with stock voltage and decent cooling, it won't fry the chip, it will just be unstable or not boot. By increasing voltage you can increase clock speeds, but you get diminishing returns and chance of damage increases exponentially as you increase voltage, so only do that if you want to push the envelope, have excellent cooling and accept the risk. But if you just want to run stock, set it to stock values and you should be fine.

Reply 3 of 10, by bergqvistjl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was confused because at the bottom of that page, there were suggested combinations for various CPUs, but in that list the clock ratio only goes up to 4.5. That was why I was like "hmm, maybe its not supported?" But on reading higher up, it does have 5.0 & 5.5 as an option, so yes.

Re. the FSB, should I just set it to 100Mhz then, for stock speeds?

Reply 4 of 10, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If a mobo supports 2.2V, there should be no problem with the K6-2. Another vogoner says it can even take the K6-III+ with a modded BIOS.

Bought these (retro) hardware today

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 5 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Manuals only show what was available when they came out.

If a motherboard has three jumpers for multiplier (as any motherboard must with settings for 266MHz/400MHz or higher), it can be set to 5x and 5.5x - and in the case of K6-2 also 6x:

One jumper:
1.5x = 3.5x
2x = 6x
Two jumpers add:
2.5x
3x
Three jumpers add:
4x
4.5x
5x
5.5x

So yes, for stock you want 5x100MHz. If your manual doesn't explicitly list the higher speeds, just drop the FSB to 66MHz and test the combinations one by one. 5x66=333MHz, so once you hit that you know you can do 500MHz by bumping FSB back up to 100MHz.

Reply 7 of 10, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rmay635703 wrote:

I ran a k6-2 for years in a PCChips m571@500mhz with an 83mhz fsb

Sure, but performance wasn't great. I recall there was a K6-2 380MHz in a 430TX based notebook I purchased in 1999. It was set for 6 x 66 = 400MHz. I put a 266MHz K6-2 instead to reduce power consumption and sold that 380MHz one. There was almost no difference on integer performance. 3D gaming was out of question with that 2Mb Trident video card anyway 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bet if you would have dropped the multiplier to 5.5x you would have seen a speed boost.
The 6x multiplier was buggy for some reason and drops performance.

Also an 83mhz FSB is a lot better than a 66mhz one, performance is closer to pc100 as the chipsets that support it normally are more advanced than the 66mhz variants

Reply 9 of 10, by vtech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have one with me (J-542B Rev 3) and I'm thing on build a retro gaming with this, but I suspect some capacitors have been reworked and I'm not 100% sure they are the correct values, can someone confirm the values of those around the CPU, I have 5 bigger ones with 1500mf/6.3v and 8 smaller with 1000mf/10v, is that the correct values. I need to change them all, some are bulging. Thanks.

Reply 10 of 10, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vtech wrote on 2020-03-24, 11:21:

I have 5 bigger ones with 1500mf/6.3v and 8 smaller with 1000mf/10v

Get some solid electrolytic capacitors of 10mm diameter like 1200uF/4V and 680uF/6.3V to put instead. United (Nippon) Chemi-Con PSA or PSC will do.

Low ESR liquid electrolytic capacitors may be also good enough if you can salvage them for free.