First post, by Deksor
Hi folks !
This thread is gonna show you the journey of fixing old boards I got in a lot.
I've already show one of the boards from that lot, which was probably one of the least damaged ones here : https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=65839
Missing half a bank of ram with * quality * desoldering as you can see :
It's also missing the KBC, cache and has a good amount of corrosion. it might still be fixable though (maybe not that RAM bank tho ...)
Corrosion is even worse here
I'm not sure if I can fix that, especially since I need very old kinds of RAM that I don't have to use it (except if I replace ZIP ram slots with simm 30 pin slots maybe ?) Edit : found out that the chip's left are enough to fill two banks, so the board only misses its bios.
(and on the other side, the metal things used to hold the RAM stick are missing). I'll need to find RAM slots in working order.
That one is very corroded, I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix that. I fear traces inside the PCB could be impacted. The KBC is missing, and the socket for it is totally busted.
Thankfully, I already have dead 486s that will become great sources of parts 😀. One is a pcchips m912 which has RAM slots that should be salvage-able and a working socket. The other is a no-name one that have 30 pin RAM slots and a socket 3 as well. I also have other 486/pentium boards, but I'd like to fix these as well (though some might totally unfixable).
Thankfully I have a desoldering iron, it will work wonders against the poor desoldering job someone has attempted in several spots !
Mobos status recap :
- GMB486-UMP : Working (needs some new tantalum capacitors nearby the PSU connector)
- ATC1415 : Working (Needs a new VRM and perhaps a better corrosion treatment)
- CH-471A VER1.0B : DEAD (broken socket replaced, doesn't POST, voltage on VCC pins too low), parts will be salvaged.
- Abit FU3 : Working, ready to be cleaned.
- ECS NEATSX : No activity, new BIOS rom chips installed, need to remove corrosion
- PAT48AV-1.40 : No sign of life at all, needs heavy treatment for corrosion
- PCChips M915i : untested, needs new socket and a new ram slot
- TK-82C491/GP-4N-D28B1 (aka SNB-M022) : Working (corrosion treated, burn mark in the socket seem to have no effect anymore now that I removed the melted plastic, also cache is fake, I need to fix that)