VOGONS

Athlon 64 questions

Topic actions

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am putting together 2000 to 2005 XP PC. I am using AMD for a change, socket 939 as CPUs are more readily available compared to Socket 754 and I am hoping for a bit more speed and reliability than Socket A (e.g. power supplies!)

My motherboard came with a normal (for the era) sized cooler and a clawhammer 3500+. It runs hot! It idles in the BIOS at 45-50c when the 70/80mm fan is just set to default "on" ~3000rpm. Cool n' Quiet doesn't really work as the fan profile needs to be pretty much the same as the default "on all the time" to keep it cool not on fire. The cooler is seated fine and has fresh thermal paste etc. I do have a lovely tower cooler but for some derpy reason my motherboard doesn't have four corner holes for mounting such a bracket; it uses two. It does have circles for where these should be though so I could get our my drill...

Anyway I've seen a Winchester 3200+ CPU for £4 on eBay. It's a 67watt CPU (the clawhammer is 89watt). Will this give me noticable temperature reductions, and / or noise reductions through using CNQ? Or should I dig around for a Venice 51watt CPU?

Are the wide range of 939 CPUs generally well supported by all motherboards with a BIOS update? The CPU support list on my motherboard's support page is blank. It's quite a late 939 (it has PCI-E) Foxconn 6100K8MA-RS.

BV5IMPql.jpg

Can a 3200 at 2GHz really keep up with a 3.2GHz P4 as the naming convention is designed to make me think?

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 25, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, double check the voltage that is being supplied to the CPU is correct according to the specs.

I do know that one particular fault mode of Athlon 64 CPUs is that they report the wrong voltage requirement to the motherboard and thus the motherboard pumps a bit too much voltage into them, making them run excessively hot.

Reply 2 of 25, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's getting 1.55v instead of 1.5v, so not a huge difference. I can't turn it down either which is annoying.

Reply 4 of 25, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Venice chips are fairly cool running.. if you plan on sticking with the 939 system i would get one. It is a later board so bios compatibility shouldn't be an issue (but you can always use the clawhammer to update, should you need it)

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 5 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are the wide range of 939 CPUs generally well supported by all motherboards with a BIOS update?

939 was relatively short lived socket and practically everything was supported on any board.

but for some derpy reason my motherboard doesn't have four corner holes

Socket 939 never had four mounting holes. It was a feature of Socket AM2.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 25, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've ordered a 3200+ Venice chip for £4. I'm thinking of pairing this with a 7950 or 8600 (passive) as my 6800 is dead!

Reply 7 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And sooner or later your 7950 and 8600 will be dead too. Especially if passively cooled.

Reply 8 of 25, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why will a 7950 / 8600 die on this PC? Especially ones passive (by design such as this) There were loads of passive 8600s.

Reply 9 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because they are flawed by design chips, which will die eventually by loosing BGA contact between the crystal and its PCB. Increased heat will only fasten the process.

Reply 10 of 25, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Because they are flawed by design chips, which will die eventually by loosing BGA contact between the crystal and its PCB. Increased heat will only fasten the process.

only half correct. The BGA balls are not the issue here, the solder bumps between the die and the chip carrier are. The reason is that nvidia used an unsuitable undefill material that doesn't support the solder bumps properly when expanding/contracting due to heating/cooling cycles.

Reply 11 of 25, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is correct. However, that means a passively cooled card will likely last longer than an actively cooled one. It's not running hot that causes damage to the solder bumps, but recurring sudden temperature changes. Since the passive card will generally run hotter at idle and takes a long time to cool off after load, it will go through smaller and more gradual temperature changes.

Reply 12 of 25, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

only half correct. The BGA balls are not the issue here, the solder bumps between the die and the chip carrier are. The reason is that nvidia used an unsuitable undefill material that doesn't support the solder bumps properly when expanding/contracting due to heating/cooling cycles.

it isn't the whole flip chip bga issue? like on a series of macbooks that the gpu suddenly dies and you can't even reball it properly cause it is a flip chip bga ?

Reply 13 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since the passive card will generally run hotter at idle and takes a long time to cool off after load, it will go through smaller and more gradual temperature changes.

That's not how it works.

Reply 14 of 25, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

it isn't the whole flip chip bga issue? like on a series of macbooks that the gpu suddenly dies and you can't even reball it properly cause it is a flip chip bga ?

It is the same issue and it is misunderstood. It is NOT the BGA balls that are the issue. that is why reballing doesn't help. The "baking trick" wich is technically just reflowing solder joints will temporally solve the issue since it also reflows the bumps. However that will not last because the undefill is still the problem and once that material is sufficiently compromised (wich is inevitable) even that ceases to work. There is no solution to the problem, cards affected WILL die sooner or later.

frudi wrote:

That is correct. However, that means a passively cooled card will likely last longer than an actively cooled one. It's not running hot that causes damage to the solder bumps, but recurring sudden temperature changes. Since the passive card will generally run hotter at idle and takes a long time to cool off after load, it will go through smaller and more gradual temperature changes.

that is not how it works. ANY temperature change is causing damage in this case not merely sudden ones, which aren't really a thing anyway.

Reply 15 of 25, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Koltoroc wrote:
It is the same issue and it is misunderstood. It is NOT the BGA balls that are the issue. that is why reballing doesn't help. Th […]
Show full quote
.legaCy wrote:

It is the same issue and it is misunderstood. It is NOT the BGA balls that are the issue. that is why reballing doesn't help. The "baking trick" wich is technically just reflowing solder joints will temporally solve the issue since it also reflows the bumps. However that will not last because the undefill is still the problem and once that material is sufficiently compromised (wich is inevitable) even that ceases to work. There is no solution to the problem, cards affected WILL die sooner or later.

frudi wrote:

that is not how it works. ANY temperature change is causing damage in this case not merely sudden ones, which aren't really a thing anyway.

I know it, that's the issue with the macbooks, Louis Rossmann made a nice video telling about, i guess it was a reply to linus from linus tech tips, cause in one video linus baked a gpu back to working order, and like we know, it will fail again eventually.
For those who don't know what we are talking about.
One-piece-lid-high-performance-flip-chip-BGA-HP-fcBGA-package.png

Reply 16 of 25, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So essentially it's a design flaw that effects a whole series of cards? I'll probably take my chances I think, it won't need to last long (a couple of months before I get bored of it probably) before I swap it for something else.

However I've got my eye on a 1950 pro at the moment.

Reply 17 of 25, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Koltoroc wrote:

I worded it poorly, I didn't mean that slower temperature changes don't cause damage, they do. But the faster and bigger the temperature change, the higher the stresses on the material. That is exactly how thermal stresses work. Especially when it comes to cooling, which is when materials contract and cracks form. An actively cooled card will cool off faster, leading to faster failure, compared to a passively cooled card.

Reply 19 of 25, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

I know it, that's the issue with the macbooks, Louis Rossmann made a nice video telling about, i guess it was a reply to linus from linus tech tips, cause in one video linus baked a gpu back to working order, and like we know, it will fail again eventually.

Yeah, I've seen that video and you are correct, it was a reply to linus attempt.

This entire issue is where the "baking a card to fix it" myth comes from. It's honestly sad that that people still do this now, particularly since it never was a fix in the first place.

frudi wrote:
Koltoroc wrote:

I worded it poorly, I didn't mean that slower temperature changes don't cause damage, they do. But the faster and bigger the temperature change, the higher the stresses on the material. That is exactly how thermal stresses work. Especially when it comes to cooling, which is when materials contract and cracks form. An actively cooled card will cool off faster, leading to faster failure, compared to a passively cooled card.

not in this case. the bumps are so small that damage happens quicker (miniscule thermal mass). Underfill is there to minimize the mechanical stress of thermal expansion and providing additional structural integrity and in many cases additional heat transfer and the material used by nvidia in these cards is insufficient for the job.