VOGONS

Athlon 64 questions

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand what the problem with the underfill was and why it lead to bumps failing. My objection wasn't that this isn't happening, merely to the idea that the problem would be exacerbated with passively cooled cards.

My experience with passive cards has been that while they run hotter under load, they also run a lot hotter while idle, meaning they effectively experience lesser temperature variations between load and idle temperatures than actively cooled cards. And while they heat up faster, they cool off a lot slower, which would again reduce thermal stresses.

At least, that was my reasoning. Though now, based on what you say, I'm thinking because bumps are so small, so close to the heat source (while also producing heat themselves) and opposite side of the cooling surface, that active versus passive cooling likely doesn't have much influence on thermal conditions in the bumps and underfill anyway. So there wouldn't be much if any difference in how passive and active cards are affected by this defect. Or am I understanding something wrong?

Reply 21 of 25, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
frudi wrote:

At least, that was my reasoning. Though now, based on what you say, I'm thinking because bumps are so small, so close to the heat source (while also producing heat themselves) and opposite side of the cooling surface, that active versus passive cooling likely doesn't have much influence on thermal conditions in the bumps and underfill anyway. So there wouldn't be much if any difference in how passive and active cards are affected by this defect. Or am I understanding something wrong?

That is pretty much it.

Reply 22 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

However I've got my eye on a 1950 pro at the moment.

Go straight for that or Radeon X1950XT/XTX. Good performance and reliability.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 23 of 25, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

However I've got my eye on a 1950 pro at the moment.

Go straight for that or Radeon X1950XT/XTX. Good performance and reliability.

I am using an X1950PRO AGP for my Socket 754. It was a tough call between that or the X800XTPE AGO but both are fantastic cards for 754/939 systems. If you are using a PCI-Express board you are spoiled for choices anyway. Any ATI/AMD card from the X800/X1800/X1900 Series as well as the HD3000/HD4000 Series will be fantastic in that case (just skip the HD2000 Series)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 25, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I won the x1950 Pro for £8.50 (PCI-E 😉) so that's a bit more era appropriate and more interesting than the 8600!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 25 of 25, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suggest running Catalyst 7.11 or older. Drivers after this have considerably worse support for older OpenGL games. And some DirectX 8 games have trouble too like Republic Commando.

I like the X1000 series. Great cards for many games. Nice 16-bit color dithering. Dual link DVI.