First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some 286 pr0n:

WJH71D2.jpg

KUVVThn.jpg

I have two more but currently installed in builds.

All (but first two in the upper row and last one in the bottom row) are working fine. The one on the bottom (NEAT-16) is beyond repair. I might give a shot repairing two in the upper row. Also last one in the third row has some quirks (CPU is very hot, stops working after a short while, I might give it a recap because it has electrolytic caps installed). One of the Suntacs in the second row also needs a recap - it's working but two caps are dammaged.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 33, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice collection!

Now I only have 2 different 286s (and one spare), both are very late SIPP/SIMM with 20MHz models, wither with VLSI or Headland HT12 chipset. I had a Hedaka too which couldn't do 0WS, one slightly acid damaged 16MHz Headland with AMD CPU and some quirk that didn't let me use SIPPs in Bank0 and some aversion it developed against GUS cards after I had had it for a while. Oh, and a very strange 5170 clone that had a socketed 8MHz ceramic CPU that was apparently running at 6MHz. But it died on me so much that despite all my efforts I couldn't get it booting again 🙁

So I was left with the modern ones and I kept the cream of the crop that work well and had their batteries removed (mostly by me). At least the VLSI one has a socket so I can test PQFP CPUs in it. But the ceramic ones are still shrouded in mystery. Let alone the one PGA piece I have too...

I see that yours are soldered or PQFP socketed too. It's so hard to find working undamaged boards for older 286s...

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 4 of 33, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote:

The one on the bottom (NEAT-16) is beyond repair.

What a pity... it's one of the nicest 286 board of all...

HanJammer wrote:

Also last one in the third row has some quirks.

It is an end-286 one. These small mobos with 20+MHz were aggressively sold as budget alternative in the early 386 age and usually of very poor quality.
They are funny in their own way, like the 14MHz all-in-one-chip 8088 clones that were cheapo alternative when the 8088's market share already almost became niche.

Reply 5 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There were a few quality 20MHz boards too, but they are kind of rare.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 33, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nice big collection, it looks like some1 butchered the socket on the non working last board at the bottom, im curious most of the boards have batteries removed except like 3 that have the green barrel still attached

Reply 7 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
treeman wrote:

nice big collection, it looks like some1 butchered the socket on the non working last board at the bottom, im curious most of the boards have batteries removed except like 3 that have the green barrel still attached

Yup, fresh batteries I soldered in place of the old, desoldered ones. I simply used these boards in some builds I quickly dismantled. But it was before I started using external batteries, so I no longer use the onboard ones.

The big board with butchered socked also misses some chips and is badly warped (which is not visible on the photo). I bought it mostly for the DRAMs which I will transplant to other of these big boards.

I agree with the quality. Some of the small motherboards are of very poor quality and are ripoffs of other boards (for example one of the not working boards looks like Octek Fox II 286, but it has GW-286 markings and no mention of Octek at all). Also take notice of the Suntac 286P (four boards in the second row) - quality differs greatly, and there are some minor diffeences between each of these boards - the fourth one has most differences of the four)

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 8 of 33, by Cezary

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HanJammer could You help me w suntac motherboard?
on Your picture first from right side, a have the one w damages 🙁
I'm looking for parameter of parts or very good quality of motherboard pictures:
- OSC 1 ........MHz?
- OSC 2 ....... MHz
- D3
-C7
- C17
- C30
- C50
- C62
- C83
- C84
- C94
- C95
- C96
- R7
- R18
- R44
- R46
- R47
- R60

thanks a lot if You could help me
regards

Reply 9 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which one exactly would it be?

Cezary wrote on 2020-08-04, 16:53:
HanJammer could You help me w suntac motherboard? on Your picture first from right side, a have the one w damages :( I'm lookin […]
Show full quote

HanJammer could You help me w suntac motherboard?
on Your picture first from right side, a have the one w damages 🙁
I'm looking for parameter of parts or very good quality of motherboard pictures:
- OSC 1 ........MHz?
- OSC 2 ....... MHz
- D3
-C7
- C17
- C30
- C50
- C62
- C83
- C84
- C94
- C95
- C96
- R7
- R18
- R44
- R46
- R47
- R60

thanks a lot if You could help me
regards

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 15 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cezary wrote on 2020-08-06, 15:18:

The one in attachement 😀

This board is missing 40MHz oscillator, keyboard controller, EPROM with BIOS that's for sure. Not all capacitors and resistors are necessary (you would have to look on the backside to see if they were ever installed in the first place). They may be present on my motherboard, but were never populated on yours.

Generally other 2 unpopulated OSCs are for NPU and for ISA bus/FDD controller (necessary if you would want to run 25MHz 286).

I will try to take pics tomorrow...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 17 of 33, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can I join the club with my IBM PS/2 model 30-286?

And with my ELT286B 160B?
http://www.uncreativelabs.de/th99/m/U-Z/30619.htm

(Sorry for not posting pics, I'm lazy today, 35'c / 95'F here)

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 18 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I created this thread long time ago 🤣.
Since then my 286 motherboard collection got a bit out of hand, and now I wouldn't have a space on the floor to put them down the same way I did before 🤣.

I have the ELT286B yeah...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 19 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cezary wrote on 2020-08-06, 15:18:

The one in attachement 😀

Here

Attachments