Topic actions

Reply 21 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sparky4 wrote on 2022-07-25, 21:28:

sexy collections and 286 mobos! 😁

Thanks... it was long time ago... since them I got like several times more of them... They wouldn't fit on the floor of my living room anymore... I really need to scale this collection down I guess ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 24 of 33, by sparky4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here is mine! 😁

Attachments

wwww

Reply 25 of 33, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd love to get a 286 with onboard IO. It will free up a slot on the riser in the low-profile IPX case I use for my 286.

Whats the opinion of the VLSI chips sets? Any good? Preference of VLSI over e.g. Headland? I only have Headland based boards atm.

Reply 27 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pan069 wrote on 2022-08-01, 20:32:

I'd love to get a 286 with onboard IO. It will free up a slot on the riser in the low-profile IPX case I use for my 286.

Whats the opinion of the VLSI chips sets? Any good? Preference of VLSI over e.g. Headland? I only have Headland based boards atm.

Read here: http://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/get_a_286_run … e_a_386_pt1.php

Generally early chipsets are pretty much like NEAT - slow and nothing special. Later are pretty fast/good.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 28 of 33, by karakarga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good old stuff. I have an Amiga 500 to 286 PC emulator board by Vortex at that time, placed 2 parts to the midst of Motorola 68000 CPU and an Amiga chipset. Hmm was it an AT or XT I don't remember now. It works at ohhh, 16 or 20 MHz something, without a co-processor. It can managed to run PW without a hard drive, under bootable DOS 3.x floppy. PW was a MS Word like writing (word processor) program. I needed it, to print out from a PC printer which were easier to find at computer shops or at school.

Reply 29 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
karakarga wrote on 2022-11-23, 21:37:

Good old stuff. I have an Amiga 500 to 286 PC emulator board by Vortex at that time, placed 2 parts to the midst of Motorola 68000 CPU and an Amiga chipset. Hmm was it an AT or XT I don't remember now. It works at ohhh, 16 or 20 MHz something, without a co-processor. It can managed to run PW without a hard drive, under bootable DOS 3.x floppy. PW was a MS Word like writing (word processor) program. I needed it, to print out from a PC printer which were easier to find at computer shops or at school.

286 was AT. I have Vortex GoldenGate 386SX emulator in my Amiga 2000. This thing is so damn slow even in comparison to some mediocre 12 or 16Mhz 286. I also have A2088 and it's horribly slow as well. PC emulation on Amiga isn't the best things to do even if in fact emulator cards are in practice a single board computers...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 30 of 33, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2019-03-21, 23:32:
treeman wrote:

nice big collection, it looks like some1 butchered the socket on the non working last board at the bottom, im curious most of the boards have batteries removed except like 3 that have the green barrel still attached

Yup, fresh batteries I soldered in place of the old, desoldered ones. I simply used these boards in some builds I quickly dismantled. But it was before I started using external batteries, so I no longer use the onboard ones...

What type of battery are you using for the external one?

Reply 31 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Martin85 wrote on 2022-11-24, 08:14:
HanJammer wrote on 2019-03-21, 23:32:
treeman wrote:

nice big collection, it looks like some1 butchered the socket on the non working last board at the bottom, im curious most of the boards have batteries removed except like 3 that have the green barrel still attached

Yup, fresh batteries I soldered in place of the old, desoldered ones. I simply used these boards in some builds I quickly dismantled. But it was before I started using external batteries, so I no longer use the onboard ones...

What type of battery are you using for the external one?

Whatever available (depends on battery holder and batteries I have). For non-chargahle batteries I usually add a schottky diode (contrary to popular believe many motherboards do charge on external battery header).

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 32 of 33, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good info! I ordered some time ago sime double 2032 holders... I modded one for the 386 with two diodes and a resistor to bring down the voltage closer to 4-5volts... Do you think I could go without this? Maybe only a diode to stop current going into the cells?

Reply 33 of 33, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Martin85 wrote on 2022-11-24, 09:48:

Good info! I ordered some time ago sime double 2032 holders... I modded one for the 386 with two diodes and a resistor to bring down the voltage closer to 4-5volts... Do you think I could go without this? Maybe only a diode to stop current going into the cells?

A diode is enough for EXT_BAT with two 2032 cells or 3-4 AA or AAA cells (non-rechargable) - I usually use 3 batteries. Typical (not Schottky or germanium) diode has around ~0,6-1,2V voltage drop. Also resistor is not an element for dropping the voltage - it's not it's function (it's for limiting current).

I8v8PGb.jpg