VOGONS

First post, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is specifically about 1.1 and not the IE3 (the other popular intellimouse from China).

I want to start a thread talking about the Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1. Original and clones. Few months ago I left my mouse at home and so at work had to grab one of the old spare wired mouse in the office. It is an 'original-ish' white (now cream 🤣) intellimousue 1.1. One of the things I really like is the clunky-ness of the button, but this could of course be because the mouse is really old and well used as the office bicycle. After using it for a few months, I decided to get my own 'original-ish' intellimouse, a black one. It is ex-corporate (so was hoping the button was worn in a clunky feeling) but it feels like I remember them. Very different tactile feedback from the old office one. Light fast 'small travel' button response, not clunky like the office mouse.

Yellow office intellimouse (left) New ex-corporate intellimouse (right)

IMG_20190321_111153.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190321_111153.jpg
File size
395.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

As you can see there are subtle differences on the underside, slightly different logos, slight different positioning...

IMG_20190321_111234.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190321_111234.jpg
File size
535.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Left is: X08-70388 PID 55250-OEM-4120572-0
Right is: X09-24047 PID 55250-OEM-4365064-0

What is the difference between these two mice? X08 feels a lot more to my taste (clunky tactile feedback on button press) but suffers from the infamous scroll wheel creep...X09 feels a lot more like I remember them, light click feel but importantly doesn't suffer scrollwheel creep. The X09 feels slightly more responsive and screen movement doesn't feel as resistive across two HD resolutions. The scroll wheel on the X08 feels very light and smooth and travels very easily (maybe results in the creep), whereas the scroll wheel on the X09 is very stippled.

Of course this could be down to the yellow one being more broken in, but since there are many OEM's of this mouse, I wonder if certain OEM's had certain feels to them, or all they all much of muchness.

After doing a bit of investigation, it turns out that this design was OEM'ed quite a lot in the early 00's so not all mice are the same. Does anyone know any history of the intellimouse, specifically being able to identify OEM's of the original intellimouse 1.1's. A lot of these OEM's were made in China a while ago (original OEMS), and it turns out the Chinese really like the intellimouse and continue to make many of them although I read conflicting accounts about what these Chinese clones are. Some say they use a left-over shells and new sensors, while others say the sensors are the same.

So I'm looking for information on the intellimouse 1.1: Info on sensors, info on button tactile feel and any mods which may improve or fix issues with them.

* How to identify original intellimice 1.1
* Information on original mice...
* Information on slightly later OEM's and...
* Information on the new/current Chinese made versions.

Opinions on the china mice?