VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm setting up one of my AOpen Mac Mini clones as a Windows XP box. Intel's (horrible to navigate) Download Center seems to deliver a newer version of the driver (14.37.4.64.5218) than AOpen's FTP site (14.37.1.5029.) Both date to 2010.

I'm aware of modded drivers for this platform that claim improved performance, but there are a few different packages out there and seemingly no real discussion of how they all stack up. All the websites I've found for these things are vaguely worded and nondescript as to what they actually do.

Have any of you guys messed with these? Is there a well-sorted one that's "best"? I'm intending to use this for light gaming, to replace my old P4-based XP machine, and probably photoshop/illustrator work.

Edit: the best looking ones I've found so far are Chell 1.7b, but these state "Chell supports the GMA 950, GMA 965 (X3000), the GMA 3000, GMA 3100, GMA 3150 and some of the GMA X3100." <-- not sure what that means. There are some other interesting tools on that site too.

We also have RGH's modded driver from 2014, which has a super-confidence-inspiring disclaimer that starts with "THIS MODDED DRIVER'S HAS BEEN TESTED BEFORE I PUBLIC IT," and World of Incredible's driver from 2015 which looks OK at first glance, but isn't well described & is on a really shonky looking website.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!