VOGONS

First post, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

R9NUuRZ.jpg
Is the AOpen HX45 a good case, will it keep my Pentium 133 cool, i am going with a passive setup with a startech socket 7/370 heatsink, a noctua case fan on the front
do i need to tidy up on the cable management side?

motherboard
evFGM9z.jpg

Last edited by Windows9566 on 2019-03-26, 07:59. Edited 1 time in total.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 1 of 4, by eisapc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you use a case fan the cooling should be sufficient. Big OEMs like Compaq, Dell and Fujitsu Siemens used passive Cooling up to P2. I would swap the power supply for one with a big blower, as it would direct cool the CPU in your personal setup.
eisapc

Reply 2 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's all a matter of heat dissipation. A P133 generates 11.2W of heat, which - in thermal terms - is peanuts. By comparison, a Pentium II 266 Klamath (which you frequently see passively cooled) is 38.2W. So it's not even near the limits. Basically you just have two prerequesites:

1) the CPU needs to be able to lose its heat to air nearby
2) the hot air generated needs to be transported out of the case.

A good heatsink with high surface area but not too dense vanes covers 1 well enough, so all you need to worry about is 2. I disagree with the direct blower on the CPU; if the case airflow is good, you don't need it, and if the case airflow is bad you're just blowing hot air back onto the CPU. In any event, a passive heatsink is badly suited to active cooling, if you're forcing air through it, you want the vanes to be much closer together.

Instead, in an ATX system the most important bit is a good outtake fan. You want to create a slight underpressure in the case, and ensure that cool air is drawn in from vents low on the front via the CPU to the outtake high in the back. Also manage those cables. I prefer running them behind the motherboard in fact. But don't go mad with worry, the sort of thing I'm talking about is absolutely essential with hotheads at the limit of passive cooling (or vastly hotter CPUs & GPUs with active cooling), with a tiny P133 you really, REALLY need to screw things up badly to get into trouble. IMHO a PSU with a 12cm (or even 8cm) outtake fan is more than sufficient to move the hot air generated by this CPU and similarly low-power PCI & ISA cards out of a medium-sized ATX case. Just make sure the flatcables are neatly packed away and you'll be fine 😀

Last edited by dionb on 2019-03-26, 12:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd second @dionb.

The drive cables ends are dangling nearby the mobo.
One short moment contact 12V + jumper is enough to make magic smoke.
This can be easily avoided by well-thought cabling.

Reply 4 of 4, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it looks like it's on the sound blaster 16 cause the camera on my phone is close to the molex connectors.
that's a similar situation you're talking about like what's in this video about a 486 that is dead from the molex frying the mobo when it touched the back of the riser card https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCnhCm6YH94

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS