VOGONS

First post, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings all. Ive been searching for a 486 for sometime, in the wild. pretty much never find anything. Been looking for 3+ years. Found some other cool stuff, but not what i want.

However, recently, someone at work brought me a box of Parts and stuff that was headed to the dump. Jackpot.

Notably, Inside was a 486 Board with CPU and Memory. (to note, it actually has one of those evergreen 586 cpus)
And Also a Pentium Class board. (also with p1, memory, etc)

Both systems are pretty neat, but id love to get this 486 board working, but... one draw back to that.
Everything is ISA. No onboard video, no PS2 port, just tons of ISA ports and VLB.
The downside to this, is cost, of me getting everything really needed (I have no ISA stuff currently) Oddly enough, i was searching for a board that accepted ISA, but also PCI.

The pentium board however, has both, PCI and ISA (not VLB). This one would def be cheaper to get up and going.

If money were no object, id just go right to ebay, order a ton of stuff for the 486 and be done. But, At this point, buying all these cards, it seems it might be cheaper to just outright buy a system (And then id have a case!)

What kinda drawbacks you think I would come accross with the pentium board? Def wanna get an ISA sound card, but Im really looking to run older stuff. IE, All the great apogee games, and stuff generally from 91-94. Nothing really 3d

Any input / advice would be cool.

Edit: Also this is the 486 Mobo Im working with .. http://www.elhvb.com/webhq/models/486vlb3/ali1429g.html

Reply 1 of 17, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me its the journey - for sure you can buy an outright system but I've pumped countless amounts of cash at systems despite having a much better/easier specification up in the loft.

You have finally found a 486! Now go build it! 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 2 of 17, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
foey wrote:

For me its the journey - for sure you can buy an outright system but I've pumped countless amounts of cash at systems despite having a much better/easier specification up in the loft.

You have finally found a 486! Now go build it! 😀

Ya know. That's a really good point. And I am with you on the journey part. Thanks!
... can i borrow like 200 bucks? 🤣 😉

Reply 3 of 17, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd strongly recommend you go for the Pentium build.

1) late 486 (particularly the Evergreen upgrade chip) does not offer any practical advantages over Pentium. There aren't any games that can only run on a 486, but not a Pentium;
2) VLB stuff is rare, expensive and often tricky to get working. Socket 7 gives you a lot of options because you can use PCI for pretty much everything (except for sound cards);
3) 486 era is not too well documented. Much easier to find PDF manuals for late 90s stuff.

In most cases, people build 486 machines for nostalgic reasons, not practical.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 17, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jheronimus wrote:

In most cases, people build 486 machines for nostalgic reasons, not practical.

That is partly what I am building for tho. I have many found memories of my packard bell 486. Even the limitations. Or creating boot disks to kill the cdrom so id have enough memory to run doom.

... Maybe I should build both? 🤣

I wish i could find some el cheapo retro cases.

Reply 5 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can use an AT motherboard in an ATX case. Much easier that way.

Where are you located?

And as far as eBay prices go.. you just have to be patient and keep an eye out for stuff. A lot of times, people will post stuff for really good prices because they don't really know what they have.

With those things, you have to jump on them immediately or else they will be gone within a couple minutes.

If you don't need/want a sound card with onboard wavetable, there are plenty of cheap options. You don't have to get a Creative Labs branded card. In fact, other cards such as ones that are OPTi, ESS, Yamaha, Crystal based are going to work just as well. If you get a Crystal or OPTi based card, make sure they have a dedicated genuine or knockoff OPL3 chip (LS-212 is the most common knockoff).

As for VLB video cards, just keep an eye out. Going straight ISA for video is a waste on a 486 board with VLB slots. You will also want a VLB I/O controller.

I would say you would need maybe $60-$80 + power supply and case to get the 486 going IF you buy all the parts separately.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 17, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I would say you would need maybe $60-$80 + power supply and case to get the 486 going IF you buy all the parts separately.

Thanks for the info. I def want to get a nice sound card. And from what i understand, ISA is the way to go. That I dont mind dropping a lil bit of money on.

I ordered a cheap PSU adapter for board testing. Eventually Ill buy an AT PSU for everyday use.
I found a Multi IO card on ebay, 24 hours left, high bidder at 6 bucks. Fingers Crossed. That will have IDE and Serial And Stuff.
I also orderes a PS2 to Serial Adapter for the mouse. Already have a keyboard that will work right with this board.

Mainly, its gonna be finding the Video card and case thats gonna be hard for me.
TBH, i dont want to spend 150 on a case. (even my main computer i think i spent 40 on it) So im tinkering with the idea of either like you said using an ATX case, or Possibly building one. I really enjoy the cases that the monitor sits on vs a tower. Its the look im going for.

We shall See!!

Thanks for the info all!! 😀

Reply 7 of 17, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me, the 486 build was mandatory because it was the first PC I built from scratch. I have so many fond memories of that computer. But, the Pentium is just a much much MUCH more capable system. FPS games don't usually run very well on a 486. I wouldn't advise using Windows 95 either (although it will run well enough on a DX2 or better.)

P1s usually have onboard I/O, floppy, IDE, PS/2 ports, PCI slots... that's just too useful to ignore. Even memory is easier to come by on a Pentium, since they're often able to handle FPM, EDO, and even SDRAM. Don't get me wrong -- I enjoyed hunting down VLB parts and selecting every piece individually. But, it definitely takes time and money to get a 486 system off the ground. With a Pentium, you can almost shake a box of parts out onto your desk and boot the pile straight into DOS.

Reply 8 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My 2 cents: play the long game.

The 486 is likely to be more rewarding, precisely because it will take more effort. However as you point out, buying all required bits at inflated auction-site prices is expensive. But... >90% of old stuff never hits those sites. Most gets dumped at recycling centers or occasionally gets advertised online as part of big lots. You can frequently get a box (if not a car!) full of parts for less than the price of one VLB VGA card on eBay. You just need patience and perseverence.

While you're doing that, get some PCI stuff and have fun with the Pentium.

Reply 10 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
90skidJohnny wrote:

Good Points. I think im gonna look for the dinkiest ISA video card. Basically to verify the board even works. Then move up to the VLB,

Yep great idea. the VLB card may take years but doesn't make sense not to use the PC during that time.

Honestly the Pentium is a better PC all round, and thats coming form someone who doesn't own one but owes 2 486's!
I'd definitely keep both, the Pentium for gaming and the 486 is for tinkering 😀

Reply 12 of 17, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a Pentium is much better if you want a allround machine for msdos

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

a Pentium is much better if you want a allround machine for msdos

Depends on the board and what you want to do. I find later Pentium motherboards a pain in the rear end when it comes to non-PnP hardware (or rather: the combination of non-PnP and PnP). But if it's a nice simple generic i430FX board or similar, then yes, it beats almost any 486 in terms of simplicity and performance. But not necessarily in soul 😉

Reply 14 of 17, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah just keep your hands away from OPTI Chipsets 😉

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 15 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

OPTI are good 486 chipsets though?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 16 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote:

Now they have soul. A dark impractical one perhaps, but vastly more fun - assuming you're not just looking for a stable, fast-performing PC : 😵

Reply 17 of 17, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on what OS you want to run.
If you are just going to run DOS and Win3x then a 486dx2-66 is fine.
If you plan on running Win95 then an AMD 5x86-P75-133 should be the minimum CPU.
If you plan on running DOS / Win98se then get a AMD K6 or Pentium 233mhz.