VOGONS

Upgrade from 386 to 586?

Topic actions

First post, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys,

I just came across a CPU upgrade for a 386 to 486 (Make it 486 from Make It Technologies) - its a PGA-132 socket with a board in-between with a few ICs on it and a TI 486 SXL2-50 (PGA168) on top.

I was wondering since this is a "real" 486, would it be possible to replace the TI 486 SXL2-50 (I don't have it in hand yet so I would either desolder or hopefully it's just in a socket) and replace it with a 486 to 586 upgrade such as AMD 486 dx5 (the same chip used in the Kingston 486 to "586" upgrades) to get even more speed 😎

I found this old thread below that makes it seem like it's possible, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience, pointers or what to watch out for etc.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-57033.html

What do you guys think?

Reply 1 of 46, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's not quite a real 486. The socket will not be compatible with standard 486 chips.
There are socket adapters that do what you want, but this isn't one of them. I have one (Transcomputer 486HPi) that does indeed let you use 5x86 chips on a 386 board.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 46, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

It's not quite a real 486. The socket will not be compatible with standard 486 chips.
There are socket adapters that do what you want, but this isn't one of them. I have one (Transcomputer 486HPi) that does indeed let you use 5x86 chips on a 386 board.

Ah, ok, well it's good to have on hand anyway... what about this one? I also have one of these. Will this work as it has a real 486 (though it is an SX)

http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/CPU/Kingston_486-Now.html

Reply 4 of 46, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's under that Kingston sticker?
It's irritating that one benchmark tells you it's an 486DX, but there's clearly an SX on the PCB.
Maybe there's a DX soldered next to it?

The problem here is that your CPU is 5V. To get, f.e. an DX4 running, you'll need a 3.3V regulator board inbetween.
After that - theoretically - you shall also be able to run a 5x86 and other fast CPUs!

Reply 7 of 46, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am pretty sure the answer is yes. A 5x86 should work in that Kingston upgrade provided you have a VRM.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 46, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the responses guys. My soldering / desoldering skills are decent, but I don't really want to have to unsolder 168 pins.

Does anyone know of a trustworthy & professional soldering / desoldering service? I'm planning to add a PGA168 socket onto the board so I can test out different PGA168 CPUs.

Reply 10 of 46, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Really?? I don’t think so. There isn’t a socket, the pins from the cpu do extend into the pcb, as you can see in the pics. I think the tips of the pins are soldered to the silver “pin holder” on the other side if that makes sense

Reply 13 of 46, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, looks like "tulip" sockets, like the pins in these: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=images … 554297438945669

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 15 of 46, by LeFlash

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Remember that this socket gives your CPU 5V! For 3.3V CPUs, you need an adapter with built in regulator!
When your 5x86 is compatible with 5V (e.g. contains regulator), everything is fine.

Reply 16 of 46, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LeFlash wrote:

Remember that this socket gives your CPU 5V! For 3.3V CPUs, you need an adapter with built in regulator!
When your 5x86 is compatible with 5V (e.g. contains regulator), everything is fine.

No worries. I sprung for an upgrade kit with the voltage regulator. It’s going to be interesting to see how fast I can get my compaq 386! 😎

Reply 17 of 46, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok so I replaced the 486sx with a 486dx2 and I couldn’t get the compaq to POST, just ram check then blinking cursor but then nothing. The 5x86 with the 5v to 3v adapter was worse, the screen didn’t even turn on when I flicked the power switch.

Anyone have any suggestions on what might be compatable with this Kingston board (and perhaps also with my compaq 386?) it’s one of the first 386’s so I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it, or is it just the Kingston board not playing nice.

Any suggestions? Maybe I could go the route of overclocking the 486sx, but I’d like to try other means before playing with replacing the 33.333 Crystal. Do you guys think a Pentium overdrive would work as they are advertised and replacements for a 486sx on the box. Maybe something from cyrix or AMD? What were the most compatable upgrade options for a 486sx?

Reply 19 of 46, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I doubt that’s the problem as if you read here this Kingston “486 Now” came in dx and sx flavours and I bet the board would be the same for both, and they swapped out the processors. http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/CPU/Kingston_486Now.pdf

Last edited by uscleo on 2019-04-10, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.