VOGONS

First post, by Parts man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a few early water cooling cases from the late 90s and early 00s. I also have a lot of blocks for everytign from socket 7 to 478. Even socket 8 and slot 1. On top of that I have pumps, radiators, tubing, fittings, GPU blocks, chip set blocks and HDD blocks. It took me a year to track all these parts down. Now it's time to build a system in the one of the cases.
The case I'm going to use is a koolance PC2-C
Out of all the cases I have its in the best shape. Its just missing the cover for the USB and front audio panel.

But there is a snag. I can't make up my mind on what to put inside the case.

I broke it down to 3 builds.
875p 478 system with a P4 extreme and 9800xt or 5950 ultra. This would lack good dos support do to the lack of ISA. But it would make a good back up gaming system if my main system when down.

High end 440bx system with a pin modded 1.4ghz Pentium 3-S. This seems like the best idea. But could be a little buggy with the overclocked chip set, AGP port and pin modded CPU. But I'm willing to deal with that.

Early 462 systems with something like a ABIT kt7a. If I can find a good early 462 board with ISA and Barton support it could make the 440bx look rather slow. But finding one for a good price would be hard.

Whats your thoughts?

EDIT: By the way. I would not be able to fit a longer ISA sound card in the koolacne PC2-C case. The pumps would get in the way. So Id would have to use a card like the AWE64 or SB16. Both are good cards. But I like having a 32mb sound font.

Reply 1 of 6, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say go period correct.

An Athlon XP on a KT266A motherboard and a GeForce3 or possibly a Radeon 8500.
And for a 2000-2001 build its perfectly fine to use a PCI soundcard, the SB Live! is a great card and also fits the time period perfectly.

And that is a sweet case !
Make sure to check everything for corrosion before putting it to use.

Reply 2 of 6, by Parts man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote:
I'd say go period correct. […]
Show full quote

I'd say go period correct.

An Athlon XP on a KT266A motherboard and a GeForce3 or possibly a Radeon 8500.
And for a 2000-2001 build its perfectly fine to use a PCI soundcard, the SB Live! is a great card and also fits the time period perfectly.

And that is a sweet case !
Make sure to check everything for corrosion before putting it to use.

Most of the water cooling parts I have are NOS or gold plated. So no corrosion 😀
I was thinking of getting something like a kg7 raid and using a live.

What is a SB live like in Dos? I mostly play newer dos games like duke nukem so I'm guessing it would be fine. But there are a few older games like lemmings that I play too.

Reply 3 of 6, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What to out inside... Hmmm... When I see that case, I am automatically thinking SocketA Athlon-XP and then something with Radeon-9600 or Geforce3/4. Or go higher, and do a mid-00's (05/06) WinXP build in the case.

Parts man wrote:

What is a SB live like in Dos? I mostly play newer dos games like duke nukem so I'm guessing it would be fine. But there are a few older games like lemmings that I play too.

In pure Dos (6.22 or earlier) forget SB-Live. It is not worth the hazzle. It is really bad at Adlib/OPL yet in Win98 it is kind of decent. There are just way better options out there. Like Vortex2 and stuff like that. Search Vogons on the subject of SB-Live and Dos.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 4 of 6, by Parts man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure I can agree. Every video I seen of a sb live in dos shoes it dose adlib fine and it seems to work fine in dos.
Dos7.1 have drives for the live build in too. But it does seem to have off sounding music in duke nukem.
If I recall the vortex emulates SB support unlike the live.

Reply 5 of 6, by Parts man

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I'm going to go early 426 with something like a kg7 raid. Likely 2 120gb drives in raid 1 and maybe a Gf3 ti 500 or 8500 with a audigy.
I have an audigy already that's not in use and a and some DDR ram too.