VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok my Pentium II is hella loud. I’ve had it.
Can ajyone recommend a fan for the CPU that i can attach to the heatsink and will be pretty silent? Something from Noctua perhaps?

Reply 1 of 10, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What sort of heatsink are you using? If it's an open one, I'd consider putting an oversized fan on it, like a 80 or 92 mm one, and running it at reduced voltage (7V and 5V adapters are readily available on ebay, if you don't feel comfortable making one yourself). That will always be a quieter than one of those tiny 40 or 50 mm fans screaming away at thousands of RPM.

That said, being a Noctua fanboy, I should also mention their NF-A4X20 and NF-A4X10 families. The FLX models come with low noise and ultra low noise adaptors to reduce RPM and noise, while the PWM models only come with the low noise adaptor.

Reply 2 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All the OEM's (Compaq, Dell, Gateway) back then had passive coolers something like this and still easy to find on ebay, with or without the CPU
https://picclick.com/Intel-PIII-SL35E-500Mhz- … 2312082562.html

They usually relied on the PSU fan for cooling with some ducting, but obviously you could just get a nice quiet modern fan and mount it in the case somewhere.

Reply 3 of 10, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

All the OEM's (Compaq, Dell, Gateway) back then had passive coolers something like this and still easy to find on ebay, with or without the CPU
https://picclick.com/Intel-PIII-SL35E-500Mhz- … 2312082562.html

They usually relied on the PSU fan for cooling with some ducting, but obviously you could just get a nice quiet modern fan and mount it in the case somewhere.

Agreed, depending on the case you can install front fans for intake and the majority of atx cases allow for at least a 80mm fan.

Reply 5 of 10, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kikendo wrote:

Ok my Pentium II is hella loud. I’ve had it.
Can ajyone recommend a fan for the CPU that i can attach to the heatsink and will be pretty silent? Something from Noctua perhaps?

Can you post a photo of your P II ?

Reply 6 of 10, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just ziptied a decent 60mm fan to the top of the heatsink (blowing down through the fins toward the base of the CPU) on my P3 450Mhz. Seems to work great and its way quieter than most.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 7 of 10, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sorry for the delay and you are right, I am a fool for not describing my setup better.
Here's a pic of the whole thing:

GVzr6Xr.jpg

It's not one of those that covers the whole cartridge.
Oh and the CPU is clocked at 400Mhz

I'm open to change the heatsink but I don't want to rely on a case fan because I currrently don't even have a case! It's unbelievable that I can't find an old case for cheap.

Reply 8 of 10, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kikendo wrote:
I'm sorry for the delay and you are right, I am a fool for not describing my setup better. Here's a pic of the whole thing: […]
Show full quote

I'm sorry for the delay and you are right, I am a fool for not describing my setup better.
Here's a pic of the whole thing:

GVzr6Xr.jpg

It's not one of those that covers the whole cartridge.
Oh and the CPU is clocked at 400Mhz

I'm open to change the heatsink but I don't want to rely on a case fan because I currrently don't even have a case! It's unbelievable that I can't find an old case for cheap.

at least here cases always end up expensive because of the shipping.

Reply 9 of 10, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This heatsink will fit on your PII and will/may probably cool better with less noise than the one you have now. In case this setup is still too noisy you could consider getting slower running fans or trim down their voltage.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Evercool-Heatsin … n-/332384266057

Reply 10 of 10, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.quietpc.com/60mmfans

Noctua is probably the most available one. I actually have a couple of quiet Thermaltake 60mm fans from years ago, but, good luck finding them now. The new ones are probably quieter anyway.

Take some measurements, though, it looks like there might be an interference issue with the RAM.

A large passive sink with a case-mounted fan might be better.

*Too* *many* *things*!