VOGONS

First post, by mhdbox385

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(Update: Go to 7th post on this page)

Recently I got an IBM model M keyboard with a strange type of connector. I have a pentium1 computer and a spare 5-pin DiN connector. I want to use this keyboard on my pentium1 and want to modify and connect the model M keyboard using the spare 5-pin DiN. I can't find any information about the 6-pin rectangular connector of the model M and so I don't know how to properly connect the pins. Any help identify the connector type name or the pinouts? Please look at the picture.

Attachments

• 20190402_191035.jpg
    Filename
    20190402_191035.jpg
    File size
    714.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by mhdbox385 on 2019-04-08, 21:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly I have no idea. Had a nosey around out of curiosity too. Probably proprietary for an industrial system or something.

I would IMAGINE the other end of that cable has a standard SDL connector into the keyboard though, so you could swap out for a more standard SDL - DIN cable without worrying about pinouts.

Reply 2 of 5, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks very similar to the keyboard used on the IBM RT 6150, see for yourself:

https://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/ibm6150/index.html

Just scroll down a bit and you'll see a picture of the ports.

https://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/comp/ibm6150/I … use_sockets.jpg

Reply 3 of 5, by zerodiagonal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I have one of those cables bit on the other end there's a plug similar to RJ45. Until now I thought it was an ethernet cable but makes more sense if it's a keyboard. It twists around like one and I got it on a joblot of keyboards, though all were ps/2s.

Reply 4 of 5, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Rather than hack it together, people are selling replacement cables on eBay. If it's one of they keyboards which has the connector on the back the cable detaches from, I would swap it out. I just searched for "ibm model m cable" and got results for new(pattern) and original PS/2 and AT cables and USB ones too though I don't know how well if at all they would work. I've heard good things for the soarer cables