VOGONS

First post, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've gone with a modern PSU and an AT adaptor for my 486 build, but I've run into a slight issue.

If I want to forgo a hard drive and use an IDE to compact flash device instead I'll need a second 5v power connector and my (all) modern PSU's only seem to have one.

Is there a simple way to add another connector or will I have to find a CF adaptor that uses 12v instead?

Reply 1 of 5, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you referring to the smaller connector that is used on floppy drives? If so, there are adapters that take the bigger molex connectors down to that connector. If you've ever bought a new power supply that has removable cables, they almost always include some in with the cables.

Beforementioned adapter:
5pcs-lot-PC-DIY-4Pin-IDE-Molex-to-4P-Small-Type-Connector-SHORT-Cable-Cord-For.jpg_640x640.jpg

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 2 of 5, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To add to that: The colors on those cables have meaning. Yellow is +12V, red is +5V. Black is ground. So both of those connectors carry 5V and 12V.

The only time I've ever seen a power supply with specific +5V connectors is when it has a 2-pin header connector for the turbo LED display. (And I've added connectors to my AT supplies for that purpose as well, while I was in there refurbishing them anyway.) I don't know of any common adapters that would convert Molex to 2-pin female header, but I did have to make one a few years back for a mini ITX PC that booted from a Compact Flash card via an IDE to CF adapter board with male pin headers for its power input.

Sometimes a supply will have a +12V connector meant to power a CPU fan -- it's just a motherboard fan connector on a cable, with the RPM sense pin unconnected. But I doubt that's what you're referring to here. 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking of that 5v connector for the turbo display...

Don't plug that into your hdd activity light header. In some cases the two cables are colored the same.

RIP Seagate ST157a
~ 1990 - 2014 ~

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 5 of 5, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dkarguth wrote:

Are you referring to the smaller connector that is used on floppy drives? If so, there are adapters that take the bigger molex connectors down to that connector. If you've ever bought a new power supply that has removable cables, they almost always include some in with the cables.

Yes that's it. Floppy connector not 5v 😕 I've order some off eBay as I couldn't find spares in my bag o' crap.

Thank you, I'm now one step closer.