VOGONS

First post, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a Via 133A motherboard the other day on eBay, and it's been working without many issues. However, it was sold as a model that I cannot find anywhere.

The ad said it is a "SHUTTLE VT82C694X MOTHERBOARD SOCKET 370 K2 94V-0". There are only a couple of Shuttle boards using the 694X northbridge, namely the AV18 and the AV18E. The difference is in the southbridge; the non-E model carries a 686A southbridge, and the E model carries a 686B. Mine has the former. However, the AV18 looks only similar to my motherboard; the IDE connectors are in a different disposition.

These are the two images that appeared in the eBay listing:
XA8aCfe.png
cHwBid3.png

Those do correspond with what I got.

This is how an AV18 looks:
PRVnNSZ.png

Notice the ISA slot is not shared with the last PCI slot, and the IDE connectors are in a different position, as well as the ATX power connector and the battery. What did I actually get? Is it some sort of OEM model? Or a different board altogether?

Edit: Searching a bit more I was able to find a reference to the A-trend ATX-7730. It looks much closer to mine, but it also has a slot 1, which mine doesn't, nor seems to have space for it.

LTHq0Cs.png

The socket area in my board (sorry for flash, dim lights down here):

pRnDF34.jpg

Last edited by vorvek on 2019-04-06, 20:31. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

try looking up the FCC id number. That often is an easy way to identify products.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 2 of 11, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dkarguth wrote:

try looking up the FCC id number. That often is an easy way to identify products.

Where's that? only number I can find is this one on the ISA slot, and that brings up nothing on Google.

zkuehnc.jpg

Reply 4 of 11, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The FCC ID is normally required to be on the board. It will be a long number with 'FCC" beside it. In one of your above pictures, I saw the FCC logo. Look about 1/3 of the way up the board in the center in this picture. It's near the big CE logo.

PRVnNSZ.png

Reply 5 of 11, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dkarguth wrote:

The FCC ID is normally required to be on the board. It will be a long number with 'FCC" beside it. In one of your above pictures, I saw the FCC logo. Look about 1/3 of the way up the board in the center in this picture. It's near the big CE logo.

In my board the CE logo is on the bottom left.

K6BHdV1.jpg

I've taken a few pictures without cards, since my eyes aren't what they used to be. If there's an FCC number, I cannot find it.

TYgo5Ph.jpg
m6ZF8uI.jpg

I did notice that between the PCI slots there's this model number, and searching for it brought me to some post somewhere stating a similar number was a Super Grace SG-APPPA3 motherboard, which apparently is a rebrand of the Vtech APPAS3-956. However, while those boards look similar, they are not exactly the same (ATX connector in a different place). I've gone through all the Supergrace SG Motherboards in motherboard.cz, and nothing. The only one that has the IDE slots in that position also has a Slot 1.

1dLI5YZ.jpg

It's a mystery board.

retardware wrote:

Nice red test rig you have there. Can you please tell what brand/type it is?

That's a Streacom ST-BC1. I've had a few bench cases, and this one has been the most convenient, so far.

Reply 6 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What does the BIOS string say when the board first POSTs ? It should show up on the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 11, by vorvek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

What does the BIOS string say when the board first POSTs ? It should show up on the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

07/03/2000-694X-686A-6A6LJPR9C-00

At the top it mentions BIOS-2M (2K000703)

Reply 8 of 11, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Based on the BIOS ID, the chipset on the motherboard is a VIA 694X/686A (Apollo Pro 133A) chipset and the motherboard was manufactured by Super Grace Electronics.
You can have a look here at their archived website: https://web.archive.org/web/20010308190642fw_ … e.com/fdown.htm

EDIT: Also found this old thread: http://www.motherboards.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=88818

Last edited by jesolo on 2019-04-06, 22:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by frudi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to PcPartner's website http://support.pcpartner.com/support/bios/VIA694.HTM the 35-C962-XX-XX PCB ID (found on the lower left corner of the board) corresponds to one of the following models: AP133AAS3-C962, AP133AAS3-962C or AP133AAS3-B962C. You can also download the latest bios from that link.

Reply 11 of 11, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I love vogons, 🤣. The userbase of this website never disappoints when it comes to identifying obscure hardware.