VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thought this would be fun! I'm sure lots of you are fans of older/retro cameras so here's where you get to show them off. 😀

"Rules":
- try not to flood the thread. Limit yourself to 5 or so pics at a time.
- tell us what camera you used in the post (or better yet, post a pic of it taken with another retro camera!)
- take pics of whatever you want - landscapes, vacation photos, projects you're working on, retro hardware, cooking... Try to showcase good pictures; we want to see the best the camera has to offer. Unless it's so spectacularly bad, you feel the need to demonstrate that instead.
- digital, 35mm film, super 8, video, polaroid, etc. are all fair game. No iphones/ipads or smartphones - flip phones or earlier maybe OK.
- try to limit editing to stuff that doesn't enhance the camera's capabilities - crops/rotation/clean downsizing are fine, avoid color grading or noise reduction
- if you need to break any of the above "rules", provide the good reason why in your post 😀

I'll start, I took these with my Nikon CoolPix 995, a 3.3Mpix digital from 2001. Note that I don't have a charger (yet) so I had to take these with it plugged into a wall wart, hence they're all of stuff around my apartment. I filled up the 64MB CF card with about 80 pics on "fine" quality messing around this morning.

DSCN5749.JPG
Filename
DSCN5749.JPG
File size
594.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSCN5764.JPG
Filename
DSCN5764.JPG
File size
626.42 KiB
Views
File license

^^ flash + backlighting + messing with the shutter speed. Not sure I like the result; the colours popped out but it's lacking contrast.

DSCN5781.JPG
Filename
DSCN5781.JPG
File size
934.51 KiB
Views
File license
DSCN5798.JPG
Filename
DSCN5798.JPG
File size
990.64 KiB
Views
File license
DSCN5816.JPG
Filename
DSCN5816.JPG
File size
626.15 KiB
Views
File license

Restoration in progress. I blame Techmoan for this.

Last edited by xjas on 2019-04-21, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 29, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting - to be fair "Standard" is a pretty useless brand name to search for. 😜 This deck has a listing on RadioMuseum.org. I hope I can get it working, I'm curious what's on the tape! It's in pretty good condition.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 29, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Took a trip to Vienna last summer. Took this from the top of Stephensdom with my Nikon Ftn. Kodak Ektar 100, with 50 mm Nikkor prime lens.

6Ym93fvh.jpg

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 5 of 29, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ Damn, that's nice. There's something in that that just screams vintage, maybe it's the color palette. it manages to be warm and vibrant without being hugely saturated. Love the lens flare too. Great shot.

Errius wrote:

You've seen TM's Mission Impossible videos right, those were brilliant.

L0L, I posted it on FB and the first comment I got was "Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is..." - I hope he continues that series, looking forward to more.

Reply 6 of 29, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thread motivated me to bid on a Ricoh KR-5! I used to have one, my dad's, actually, but kinda lost it.

Here's some info:

https://www.lomography.com/magazine/182234-my … mera-ricoh-kr-5

What I still have is lots of stuff for the camera somewhere. Tele lens, macro lens, a 35mm, and even one of those exchangeable backplates that imprint time & date and things on the photo.

Reply 7 of 29, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sony Mavica FD-81, 1024x768 max resolution untouched straight from the floppy - Old Nubrik brickworks site in Burwood.
8gpAzt4.jpg

Kodak DC4800 3.1Mp, also untouched, different part of same site a year or so later
UOXUSdW.jpg

Reply 8 of 29, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every film camera my family used during the 90s were generic-brand 110 or 35mm cameras, including a lot of single-use cameras. So, I don't really have any good representative pictures of those, since a lot of them weren't very good or memorable model-wise (also, I physically don't have the pictures in my possession, my brother currently has them).

My family didn't get our first digital camera until 2000. It was a cheap 320x240 Polaroid digital camera bought from AOL (yes, really), with horrible picture quality, even by the standards of the day. This likely isn't the very first picture ever taken with it (I imagine I took some test shots after getting it), but it is the oldest one I have saved, my car at the time.

DSZYu3TVAAA_0GR.jpg
Filename
DSZYu3TVAAA_0GR.jpg
File size
18.86 KiB
Views
File comment
Polaroid-1
File license

We didn't get our first "real" (i.e. good enough to be heavily used) digital camera until 2004...and this one is actually an interesting story. For a while during the early-mid 2000s, they actually had single-use digital cameras for sale in certain camera shops and pharmacies. The idea was that you'd buy the camera, take 25 pictures with it, then return it to the store where you would get your digital pictures on CD along with a pack of prints, then the camera would be refurbished and resold to another customer. Anyway, someone eventually figured out a hack that allowed you to connect those single-use cameras to a home computer so you could download the pictures from it and clear the camera's memory yourself without taking it back to the store, thus making it reusable. I don't recall the exact number, but between my father and I, we took over 1,000 total pictures...not bad for a camera originally designed to take only 25. 🤣 The first photo is one I took last year just for fun...when using older cameras like this, I like taking pictures of places or objects that make it appear to be an older picture. The second photo is from 2004 during an autumn trip to Wisconsin.

DW63Zp-UMAA-OfY.jpg
Filename
DW63Zp-UMAA-OfY.jpg
File size
175.85 KiB
Views
File comment
SingleUse-1
File license
DU61aTPUQAAoqNS.jpg large.jpg
Filename
DU61aTPUQAAoqNS.jpg large.jpg
File size
175.82 KiB
Views
File comment
SingleUse-2
File license

This last one might be cheating a little bit, since it's actually a frame from a camcorder video and not a photo from a still camera. But, I still consider it retro. From our 1996 8mm Sony HandyCam, the clearest picture I have of the 486 system from my childhood that my family got in late 1995. This was recorded in early 1999, not long before it was replaced.

DZoesImUQAAwEn1.jpg
Filename
DZoesImUQAAwEn1.jpg
File size
84.74 KiB
Views
File comment
HandyCam-1
File license

Reply 9 of 29, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Random photo's from a holiday in 2001:

DSC00233b.jpg
Filename
DSC00233b.jpg
File size
191.46 KiB
Views
File license
DSC00241b.jpg
Filename
DSC00241b.jpg
File size
199.71 KiB
Views
File license

Camera: Sony DSC-S75 (3.3 MP)
Photo's resized to 1024x768 and compressed quality because they would be too large for this forum.

Reply 10 of 29, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

^^ Damn, that's nice. There's something in that that just screams vintage, maybe it's the color palette. it manages to be warm and vibrant without being hugely saturated. Love the lens flare too. Great shot.

that's actually not a lens flare, it's a dent in the negative. However, it passes off fairly well as a lens flare, 🤣

I would remove it with photoshop/gimp, but I suck at photo editing.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green

Reply 11 of 29, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Little story for this one. 😀 So my first digital camera, besides a couple early webcams, was some super cheap Vivitar thing that I got bundled free with a Lexmark inkjet printer of all things. It wasn't great, but did the job for my photography needs from 2003~2007. I remember it having a really slow shutter speed, so I got tons of "rolling shutter" effects unintentionally. I was big into amateur motorsports back then, so a lot of my pics were of moving cars on race courses.

I don't seem to have the camera right now (it's entirely possible it's packed away somewhere - I found my S-VHS camera that I used around the same time a while ago!), but I do have the box:

DSCN6361.JPG
Filename
DSCN6361.JPG
File size
207.43 KiB
Views
File license
DSCN6368.JPG
Filename
DSCN6368.JPG
File size
230.17 KiB
Views
File license

(^^ note: taken on another rescue Nikon that I haven't featured here yet, an E8800 from ca. 2004 which has quickly become my go-to camera when I need something better than a smartphone. I'll post some more of its output later!)

It came with a 16MB(!) SD card and I found a 32MB card on the ground somewhere. I had no money so that's what I used. 😜 I still have both cards too:

DSCN6374.JPG
Filename
DSCN6374.JPG
File size
297.07 KiB
Views
File license

(^^ E8800 again)

Anyway I came across said cards a couple days ago and was looking through them. They still held my last "roll" of pictures from the Toronto International Auto Show on 16 November, 2004. Most of them aren't great, as it wasn't good in sort-of-low-light conditions, but I must have gone outside the convention center and taken this absolute gem:

PICT0015.JPG
Filename
PICT0015.JPG
File size
481.03 KiB
Views
File license

(^^ cheap-o Vivitar, untouched)

Seriously, this is probably one of my best pictures from that era, and it wasn't even in my archive until now. I guess I never copied the last batch of pics off those cards. It's about as good as this camera had to offer; a little grainy with some visible color fringing, but I think it's pretty impressive for what it was!

I used that camera for a couple years after that but I must have upgraded to a bigger SD card right after these.

Look through your old memory cards!

In other news, the charger for my CoolPix 995 arrived. More soon. 😉

Reply 12 of 29, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
torindkflt wrote:

We didn't get our first "real" (i.e. good enough to be heavily used) digital camera until 2004...and this one is actually an interesting story. For a while during the early-mid 2000s, they actually had single-use digital cameras for sale in certain camera shops and pharmacies. The idea was that you'd buy the camera, take 25 pictures with it, then return it to the store where you would get your digital pictures on CD along with a pack of prints, then the camera would be refurbished and resold to another customer. Anyway, someone eventually figured out a hack that allowed you to connect those single-use cameras to a home computer so you could download the pictures from it and clear the camera's memory yourself without taking it back to the store, thus making it reusable. I don't recall the exact number, but between my father and I, we took over 1,000 total pictures...not bad for a camera originally designed to take only 25. 🤣 The first photo is one I took last year just for fun...when using older cameras like this, I like taking pictures of places or objects that make it appear to be an older picture. The second photo is from 2004 during an autumn trip to Wisconsin.

That's pretty cool, I always wondered about those "disposable" digitals. I figured they were just bargain-basement regular cameras with some BS DRM firmware. Guess so.

Love the "goat climber" BTW. There's a market/tourist trap on my island called Goats on the Roof. It's exactly what it says. 😜

SpectriaForce wrote:

Random photo's from a holiday in 2001:

DSC00233b.jpg

Can't help but notice the little Peugeot 306 in the car park. Must have been nearly new. Always liked those!

Reply 13 of 29, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3) overcast day in Tokyo by a KD-500Z
2) a Florida-shaped patch over a rust hole by KD-500Z
1) pic of a Canon taken by a Konica KD-400Z

Attachments

• PICT0257.JPG
    Filename
    PICT0257.JPG
    File size
    649.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • PICT0763.JPG
    Filename
    PICT0763.JPG
    File size
    699.06 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • PICT2026.JPG
    Filename
    PICT2026.JPG
    File size
    261.31 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 14 of 29, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What you taking about Willis ?

Don’t make me bust out my HP C30, 1MP camera.
Or my Sony Mavic digital camera with floppy disk drive.
Or my Apple QuickTake 150 digital camera.
Or my Kodak easy share DC290 with 1.6MP and Color inkjet All-in-one Printer.

Reply 17 of 29, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll keep it computer related. Taken with my Sony Ericsson w300i flip phone back in 2006.. no editing done, not that it would help 🤣. I feel this fits the rules since it is spectacularly bad, and showcases how poor of an image sensor some of the earlier camera phones had, and it doesn't even seem that long ago.

My three rigs back in college..
aer7DLJ.jpg

LAN party at my buddy's house:
NenphKf.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 18 of 29, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

taken with a Kodak DC200, one of the first "megapixel" digital cameras at 1152x864 resolution . IIRC it was like $400USD!

picture of my engine bay, when i had no money for proper modifications. extra points if you can guess the car (and which generation of said car)

photo_2019-04-17_13-58-50.jpg
Filename
File size
175.46 KiB
Views
File license

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 19 of 29, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote:

taken with a Kodak DC200, one of the first "megapixel" digital cameras at 1152x864 resolution . IIRC it was like $400USD!

picture of my engine bay, when i had no money for proper modifications. extra points if you can guess the car (and which generation of said car)

1985 Celica Supra MK2?

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals