VOGONS

First post, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello ( Installing a 3.5" floppy drive to an old I/0 card cable 386/486 ? )
Beginner amateur questions:
1.) What is the name of this "old-style floppy" I/0-cable with 4pcs of connectors ? ( See picture )
2.) Can I just use a regular modern floppy cable with only a 1pc connector ?

I can't get the 3.5" 1.44mb floppy to work:
- Must I set it as a *Floppy A* or *Floppy B* in BIOS ?
- Do I need drivers ?
- It says "Not ready reading drive A Abort, Retry, Fail?".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abort,_Retry,_Fail%3F
- Which way the floppy connector goes ? ( See picture )

Attachments

• cable4.jpg
    Filename
    cable4.jpg
    File size
    94.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This cable can only be called as "floppy cable with connectors for 5.25 drives" or "old style floppy cable" AFAIK, I can't recall any special names for it, and yes, you can use a simpler one with two 3.5 connectors only,

In any case, if the drive is designated as drive A in the BIOS, it must be connected after the twist. In the picture you attached, the place of the 3.5 drive A is correct.

There is no standart (in general) in which way to connect the connector to a 3.5 floppy drive though, but it's a simple matter of trial and error, there are only two possibilities at the end.

Hint: If the drive led is illuminated as soon as the system is powered up and stays illuminated, then the cable is incorrectly connected, try the other way around.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same as tayyare. Looks like an ordinary floppy cable from the late 80s/early 90s.
It should support two floppy drives, with either a modern or classic connector (edge connector).
If there''s a coloured cable (often red) on one side of the ribbon cable, then it is marking the side were the "1" pin of the floppy drives usually goes to.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//