VOGONS

Reply 21 of 28, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jmarsh wrote:

Um guys, OP just wants to get PPP working over TCP/IP. Nothing to do with real modems and such.

Thanks so much, yes, I want that, and I think you have answered my question already, I just have to test it out. I will post when I do. Thanks for your help!!

I have to say though, you rascals have now made me interested in building a phone central in my home xD

Reply 22 of 28, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Am I the only one wondering why you don't just use a regular LAN adapter?

Is it purely to hear the dial up negotiation sounds and/or experience dial-up speeds?

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 23 of 28, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@BushLin, NIC needs different set of drivers and some software may not be able to use packet drivers and expect a modem to exist for example.

I have also some very good terminal programs for DOS, that only support communication through serial port, no NIC support at all. So far i have been emulating a modem with my windows 10 machine for my retro hardware over serial port. But it would be nice to play around with real internal 56k modems as well...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 24 of 28, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BushLin wrote:

Am I the only one wondering why you don't just use a regular LAN adapter?

Is it purely to hear the dial up negotiation sounds and/or experience dial-up speeds?

My DOS terminal software will not work with LAN. Also I didn't have an adapter around to try, but now I do, so I might just use that, but I am running into trouble (time to open another thread)

Reply 27 of 28, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In some box in the closet is my old 56k USRobotics modem.
I haven't used it since my puppy chewed partly through the power cord.
(I patiently explained to her why it was bad to chew it... she never chewed anything un-approved again).

She's since died of old age (good gravy, almost 7 years ago now), and this thread has me thinking of digging it out, fixing the power cord, and using it like I did back then, hopefully resurrecting a ghost of a feeling and memory of her.

(yeah, the dog meant a lot to me. More than my computers even. Yeah, all of them; combined).

Reply 28 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kikendo wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

You can run PPP over a standard serial connection with no dialing.

I don't have a standard serial connection. Read the original post again.

Sorry about that. Thread overload!

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder