Need info on AL486 rev1 mobo

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-12-29, 02:58:

Just wanted to mention, for those interested in archiving obsolete manuals and information, someone just listed a 1.1 revision of one of these AL486 boards,

Thanks for the info but it is too much $ for me at this time. Wonder if it boot up proper. Most sellers will state if it does, I see seller also has quite a few stuff grabbed from recyclers/thrift stores.
Will put a watch on it and see what happens....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok the board came, thanks Ozzuneoj ! Works great, only likes Parity Simms. Here are some pictures, will scan/photo > PDF the entire manual when I get a chance.
The manual had some colored highlighting when I got it, I did add some penciled notes as was working out the boot up.

Attachments

• Img_1471s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1471s.jpg
    File size
    157.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_1472s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1472s.jpg
    File size
    1003.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_1481s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1481s.jpg
    File size
    172.69 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_1482s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1482s.jpg
    File size
    207.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 22 of 29, by sulix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've had one of these motherboards for ages (it still works great), and stumbled across this thread a little while ago. I've just scanned and uploaded the manual to my website.

I'll see if I can get around to uploading it somewhere more useful/permanent as well, but hopefully it'll help someone!

Reply 23 of 29, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sulix wrote on 2021-01-10, 06:16:

Hi all,

I've had one of these motherboards for ages (it still works great), and stumbled across this thread a little while ago. I've just scanned and uploaded the manual to my website.

I'll see if I can get around to uploading it somewhere more useful/permanent as well, but hopefully it'll help someone!

Oh, nice! Well, I guess we'll have a couple of these scanned online if Horun does his too. Funny timing after almost 2 years since making this thread, but the more information out there the better. 😀

Thank you for taking the time to scan it.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 24 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all,

Thanks ! My manual is the same exact # 422100 Version 1.0. I will upload your manual to Vogons library later today.
And no never found JP42, there is a small group of unpopulated jumper pin solder points near JP31 that one could have been JP42 but those appear to head from ALI chip to the cpu socket.
Noted that for 64k, 128k and 256k JP42 is open in the manual. The silkscreen on my Rev 1.1 board does not include JP42, only JP16, 33, 34, 40 and 41 and DOES include 512k cache setting.
Also found an undocumented and unpopulated JP3 next to JP2, possibly a CMOS clear function or BIOS program function that is not included.

Reply 25 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all,

Big thanks ! Saved me from scanning it 😀. Added it to our Library here: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1767
Hope that is Ok.

Reply 26 of 29, by Kayraba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-10, 06:48:

Hi all,

Oh, nice! Well, I guess we'll have a couple of these scanned online if Horun does his too. Funny timing after almost 2 years since making this thread, but the more information out there the better. 😀

Thanks mate you saved me a lot of time!
One question I have as my mobo is missing the tranzistor U29. Can you please tell me the code on it?

Reply 27 of 29, by Kayraba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kayraba wrote on 2021-01-17, 12:26:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-10, 06:48:

Hi all,

Thanks mate you saved me a lot of time!
One question I have as my mobo is missing the tranzistor U29. Can you please tell me the code on it?

And the value of capacitor C200 next to it

Reply 28 of 29, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great stuff ! I've added everything to UH19 here http://www.win3x.org/uh19/motherboard/show/7050

@Kayraba at page 9 of the manual you can read that the regulator is a LT1085. As for the capacitor, that's a good question which I cannot answer because I don't have that board ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 29 of 29, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kayraba wrote on 2021-01-17, 12:27:

And the value of capacitor C200 next to it

The C200 on mine is a 47uF 16v Tayeh Tayo brand and still looks in good condition (but will keep an eye on it !), the 3.3v AMD cpu works well on it. The U29 has a heatsink over the entire top so cannot verify if a LT1085.