VOGONS

Reply 20 of 31, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The cache only works for GUI acceleration and improves performance by about 15%, depending on resolution.

DOS is not constrained by the video memory bandwidth and thus there is no improvement.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 21 of 31, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mpe wrote on 2021-04-08, 19:57:

The cache only works for GUI acceleration and improves performance by about 15%, depending on resolution.

DOS is not constrained by the video memory bandwidth and thus there is no improvement.

OK, thank you much.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 22 of 31, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got myself one of these too. But I'm unsure what kind of RAM to get to bring it to 2MB - what should I be looking for? I have a Cirrus card with similar sockets and I suspect the ram is the same; am I right?

I think I can figure out the xram part. Just hope the OS/2 driver is accelerated. The Cirrus 5428 is absolute rubbish. It can't even do NI at 1024x768. What's the odds this one can?

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 23 of 31, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2021-07-09, 23:29:

I got myself one of these too. But I'm unsure what kind of RAM to get to bring it to 2MB - what should I be looking for? I have a Cirrus card with similar sockets and I suspect the ram is the same; am I right?

I think that if the Cirrus card has similar socket, the RAM chips will be good. I have never find incompatibility with SOJ video memory chips. Important! Pay attention to the right direction!

I think I can figure out the xram part. Just hope the OS/2 driver is accelerated. The Cirrus 5428 is absolute rubbish. It can't even do NI at 1024x768. What's the odds this one can?

/Eirik

We like the Cirrus 5428 not because high resolution GUI capabilities but because is's best old DOS (VGA/SVGA pre VBE 2.0) game compatibility: https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS_VLB/

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 24 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Both have decent compatibility, but 542x series were just slow budget chips targeted at OEM and had no real benefit from 2 Mb of video RAM, due to crappy DAC. F64300 is similar to ET4000/W32i.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25 of 31, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2021-07-10, 07:20:

I think that if the Cirrus card has similar socket, the RAM chips will be good. I have never find incompatibility with SOJ video memory chips. Important! Pay attention to the right direction!

If I am to buy more such chips, what specifically should I be looking for? Socket types, organization, etc.? I'm not terribly well versed in component puchasing - which I now realise is kinda embarrassing since I've been working with PC hardware since the mid-80s. I've probably also wasted a lot of money on components I'll never need ;)

Thanks for your help.

/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 26 of 31, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2021-07-10, 10:06:
If I am to buy more such chips, what specifically should I be looking for? Socket types, organization, etc.? I'm not terribly we […]
Show full quote
Gona wrote on 2021-07-10, 07:20:

If I am to buy more such chips, what specifically should I be looking for? Socket types, organization, etc.? I'm not terribly well versed in component puchasing - which I now realise is kinda embarrassing since I've been working with PC hardware since the mid-80s. I've probably also wasted a lot of money on components I'll never need 😉

Thanks for your help.

/Eirik

I don't really known. I think most VLB videocards with 40 pin SOJ sockets are using 256k × 16 FPM memory chips, few latest VLB cards use EDO chips (I only have 2 of these and both have PCB moduls for memory upgrade not 40 pin SOJ sockets). if I wanted to expand memory one of my card, I would seek the data about the onboard SOJ-40 chips (if exist).

Reply 27 of 31, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently tried this card this weekend and failed to get it to post with a U5S at 33MHz 0WS. At 1WS it is as fast as a CL-GD5428 at 0WS.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28 of 31, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My F64300 works fine on my U5S-33MHz in zero waitstate. Guess it depends on the motherboard and card quality or something.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁