VOGONS

sony cdu33a-81 - interface?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retropol wrote:

i have found a music card with the needed interface. Will try it soon. BTW - is this something of good quality or a crap (taking early 90s into account)?

Most ESS card are detected and well working under Windows9x and DOS games oo. But i tested only newer variants with IDE and not with AT-BUS CD interfaces.
Your cards chip LS2622 looks like (pirate?) copy of the Yamaha OPL3 FM chip.

Reply 21 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like playing with old CD-ROM drives. This one is kind of crappy, but it has some real character, mostly due to the very unusual design for the indicator light, and the spring loaded eject mechanism. One positive note about the drive is that it supports multisession, while many other drives of the era did not.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 22 of 30, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi, I put the sound card to my PC PENTIUM MMX with... win millenium.

question: is this card p&p? i assume not - iSA is not p&p right? so the auto detection of new hardware should not work?

i noticed the card was not detected, so I went to add hadware option of win, and chosen creative / sound blaster 16

no luck... can you help with making it alive under win me?

Reply 23 of 30, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought this CD-ROM drive back in 1993 because multimedia was all the hype back then, i think I paid about $150 for the kit which came with the controller. But this CD-ROM drive disappointed me. It was too slow and was always seeking. Even playing simple multimedia CD-ROMs with video played slow. So eventually I replaced it with a 4x Mitsumi 40-pin ide cdrom and performance greatly improved.

Reply 26 of 30, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The controller is non-PnP, so use the Win9x hardware search. You can let it search through all devices, but faster is if you select it yourself from the list. Should be CD-ROM/Sony.
If it then says that the installed driver can not locate the controller change the port in the properties to the one of the jumpered controller. I think 0x340 is default.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 27 of 30, by peklop

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SirNickity wrote:

ISA can be PnP, but I have no experience with that card (or really any of the ESS chips).

ES688 is old from pre PnP times.

I know OPTi 924 chip is PnP and support AT-BUS interfaces including Sony. Soun part is PnP. But is CD-ROM interface PnP too? IDE probably yes. Sony/Panasonic/Mitsumi AT-BUS no?
http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/components … eets/82C924.pdf

Reply 28 of 30, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you already solved all, but I have one ISA controllers for that interface,:it iss an ISA controller for that specific
CD-ROM - Corion Industrial Corp COR333 (I have the cable 34-pin original also).

Unlikely my SONY CDU33A-01 is KO, pressing the eject button have the "drawer" stuck (cannot say it correctly in English),
so I cannot load CD-ROM support 🙁

For this I am going to throw CD-ROM drive into the trash bin and I am going to sell the ISA controller.

I used a SoundBlaster Creative SB16 MultiCD ISA once, but I found this ISA controllers only for CD-ROM very useful for
not to become mad finding the correct driver for the soundcard and to use only the old SYS drivers for that specific CD-ROM
you could find on the web (maybe I have one also somewhere).

If you still interested in, post me a message here, I am not a very active VOGONS user...

In any case, cheers from Italy!

retropol wrote on 2019-04-25, 18:05:

ok, I found drivers to this soundcard in the net, works ...

now... do i need any special drivers to make the cdrom working for win 9x/me?

Attachments

Reply 29 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe the eject button on the drive can be fixed. My friend and I both owned these drives new in 1994. I remember his only lasted a few months before the eject button stopped working, but his father was able to disassemble and repair it. Sadly I didn't inspect it very closely when it was on the workbench to see exactly what went wrong.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 30 of 30, by Ayrton

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is not a mechanical issue but unluckily an electrical one... 99% due to electrolytic capacitors.
After 20-25 years they usually break down: all IBM ps/2 Intel 8088 with no hard drive and only 2 x floppy disks have today both FDDs broken and the problem (well documented also here in VOGONS)
is that two manufacturers building those drives for IBM used the same type of capacitors, and they all broke after 15 years approximatively.
The eject function mainly is driven by a little IC, so even if all capacitors are refreshed, you have to check the integrity of IC (identify/unsolder/find/purchase new one, and so on).
Only rarely the eject issue is due to a plastic belt lack (mechanical issue) but unfortunately the "drawer"stuck issue is coupled to a "bad blinking" green led sequence... so it is an electrical matter
and fixing is not cheap... only after doing this you have to check if the drive lens is still aligned good, you would risk to repair the drive and then not to read media support! 🙁
Yesterday I discovered all my three "not-IDE" CD-ROM drives are gone, it was a shock! 🙁

It is a pity I read only now these arguments, all posts of RETROPOL are issues I solved many times in different modes, I am quite old now! So... once the knowledge of ISA bus and not-PnP cards
was everyday business...

Thank you for reply,
please if you have some issues post me, I will read VOGONS more often now and I am still having fun with these things (this evening I am assembling a 486 VLB with a new fresh fantastic CHICONY CH-471B
mainboard found NEW in Poland!).

Regards!

Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-11-27, 14:07:

Maybe the eject button on the drive can be fixed. My friend and I both owned these drives new in 1994. I remember his only lasted a few months before the eject button stopped working, but his father was able to disassemble and repair it. Sadly I didn't inspect it very closely when it was on the workbench to see exactly what went wrong.