VOGONS

First post, by SETBLASTER

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i got a very strange motherboard socket3 soyo 030H2
it kept the green battery so i see just a littlebit of a mess

below the battery i used cotton and vinegar. it did not do any chemical reaction right away so i started to rub over and over with cotton till some of the green came off, and looks like the traces are still there.

the memory area is another thing, i have no idea what to use in order to clean those pins. does anyone recommend me some miracle solution? or the sockets need to be removed an dthen cleaned and soldered again?

it is strange because in the past i used somethig like vinegar on a a battery and thr chemical reaction showed right away and the green stuff was removed. Did anyone fix this with lemon and then use isopropyl alcohol with a toothbrush?

green.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vinegar and a scrubbing brush.

Then soak/wash in soapy water for a minute.

Put in oven at 70C for a few hours to dry it out fully.

Then test and see what works and what doesn't. If you have soldering iron, use it to go over any traces that look damaged from the battery. If you can, replace any connectors that no longer work. If you can't replace them, and you can work around their absence, remove them from the board so you can clean better underneath.

Reply 2 of 4, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last mobo I got was similar.
Used 30% vinegar concentrate, a drop of tenside and a toothbrush with very fine and soft brushes, until I couldn't see any greenspan anymore. Then thoroughly bathed in water, and then in IPA to displace the water. Finally a hour in oven at 50C, with hot air circulation on.

Edit: Never tried soap... I'd be afraid of the non-soluble compounds it makes...

Reply 3 of 4, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:

Edit: Never tried soap... I'd be afraid of the non-soluble compounds it makes...

Dishwashing liquid is good for breaking down grease and mucky dust that often builds up on old hardware. It hasn't hurt any of the hardware that I have used it on, just be sure to liberally rinse it off once you have finished cleaning with it.

Of course, I also remove all heatsinks and other removable parts before doing this. Also make sure you don't scrub off the label on any UV erasable EPROMS plugged into the motherboard.

I'm not much of a fan of using IPA to displace the water after cleaning, it is a bit of a waste and would end up filling the room with IPA fumes once you place it in the oven.

Reply 4 of 4, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote:

I'm not much of a fan of using IPA to displace the water after cleaning, it is a bit of a waste and would end up filling the room with IPA fumes once you place it in the oven.

I reuse it.
I have two labeled bottles, one for the first step (not mentioned in the post above), where I clean the muck and oils. That IPA gets dirty!
Then acid + tenside brushing, then generously flushing with water.
Finally the cleaning/water displacement, with the IPA for that collected for reuse in another bottle.

Good ventilation is a must, of course!