VOGONS

First post, by bryco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently picked up a Windows XP system, P4 2.2 GHZ Northwood with 2 gbs of ram. I was having trouble running Far Cry with a Ge force 4. So I added a 6800GT to try and remedy that. I'm still have problems whenever I move the mouse the whole computer lags. To test my theory that it was the mouse I installed need for speed underground 2(a childhood classic of mine). It ran flawlessly with keyboard controls but if I moved the mouse while driving the PC stutters and the frames hit unplayable levels. I tried looking for spyware as recommended by google searches. Used Spybot Search and Destroy. It found some different things and removed them but the issue hasn't been resolved. I'm using a new mouse that has a high DPI and I tried to lower it. There isn't much information out there about what I should be looking for to fix. So I turn to you guys to maybe shed some light on the issue. Any help is appreciated! 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This reeks of a resource conflict.

Is whatever port the mouse is plugged into sharing an IRQ with the sound or video card?

I seem to remember a very similar thread not too long ago and the "solution" was to use a different port type. If it is USB, and there are more than 1 USB "hub", you may be able to remedy it by using a USB port on a different hub or controller.

What about PCI latency settings in the BIOS? If there is no BIOS setting, or even if there is, try this:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/pci-late … ool-3-1-v2.html

https://hardforum.com/threads/chaning-pci-agp … latency.780965/

There was some other fix that I used to use all the time, but it has been quite a while and can't seem to find it or remember what it was.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by bryco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was a USB mouse that I was using. I went to Goodwill and found an older laser mouse to try(They didn't have any PS2 mice unfortunately), one a little more basic and that didn't produce and results either. I swapped to every single USB port including the two on the front to no avail. I'm going to hit a couple thrift stores around here before I try and order one online.

A side note, how would I found out if the USB port shares the same IRQ? Is it possible they all share the same one or should I start looking for the culprit somewhere else?

I'm going to mess with the AGP latency tonight and report back. I figured I'd start with the easiest and most obvious fixes first and move on from there. Thanks for the insight guys!

Reply 4 of 4, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

all the USB ports are on an internal hub connected to one USB controller, swapping ports is pointless
start by reinstalling USB drivers, probably from Intel Inf

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction