Rank

These are the best photos from them. Otherwise anyone could do it 😀

9NPRMgz.png

Lo0oNDf.png

Reply 2 of 14, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

bottom pic looks a bit like a sb pro 2.0 or a sb16 ct1740 from the distance but idk, maybe get a better camera, even my smartphone's camera quality is much better.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 4 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are some epically crap pictures...

Still, the bottom card is clear enough: Rockwell modem chips and POTS transformers. Some kind of modem in other words. The sound card at upper left has a white smudge that could be a Mediavision logo, and small chips that aren't PAS, so I'd guess it's a Mediavision Jazz card. As for the third one, that looks like a DB25 connector, so serial or - more likely - parallel I/O.

But again, this is best effort based on very lousy pics and guesswork. Could be a long way off.

Reply 5 of 14, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for your inputs guys. These are the seller's photos, not mine. Just wanted to know if there is any interesting stuff there, but it does not seem so.

Reply 6 of 14, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

Amazing that retro cameras are being used nowadays for such purposes and that people except meaningful answers from this kind of images.
Better take this as a fun guess-quiz...

dionb wrote:

Still, the bottom card is clear enough: Rockwell modem chips and POTS transformers. Some kind of modem in other words.

Two 2.5 or 3.5mm jacks, isn't this uncommon for modems?

dionb wrote:

As for the third one, that looks like a DB25 connector, so serial or - more likely - parallel I/O.

Too many caps and not the usual chips associated with this kind of card imho. Probably needs a proprietary [splitter] cable.

My personal guess: all three sound cards, in other words, probably junk or even cloned junk.

Reply 7 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Small top right card is an FM tuner thingy. I have two of them but I haven't tried to actually find their software and use them for anything.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 14, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retardware wrote:
dionb wrote:

People except meaningful answers from this kind of images.
Better take this as a fun guess-quiz...

I did not except but I did get quite a few meaningful answers already. 😀 Thanks again guys for your inputs.

Reply 9 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The upper right card could be an old radio card. One 3.5mm jack for antenna, another one for speaker out.
AIMS Radio Tracks 8-Bit ISA FM card -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZrXBTwAME

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 14, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retardware wrote:

No, modem cards ("hard" modems, not the ones that relied on CPU for processing) often had plugs for microphone and speaker.

Reply 11 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jmarsh wrote:
retardware wrote:

No, modem cards ("hard" modems, not the ones that relied on CPU for processing) often had plugs for microphone and speaker.

Indeed:
Rockwell-56K-ISA-Modem-And-Sound-Card-retro.jpg

Not exactly the same model as in the crap pic, but same functionality. So you could hook them up to your sound system for handshake bleeps in full Hi-Fi glory 😜

Edit:
More serious use was because these were 'voice' modems, they could receive & transmit voice stuff over the line (think: use PC as anwerphone). Hence need for audio in/out.

Reply 12 of 14, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was by the way the full photo on ebay . I could identify 3x SB Awe64, 1x Tseng 4000ax, 1x SPEA Mirage VLB (S3 805) and 1x Cirrus logic 54xx VLB. The rest is IO cards, some clone sound cards and modems (as you guys identified) and various crap. I like these listings because the seller does not know/care what he is selling and the buyers also need to have some knowledge/expertise on what they are buying.

VxeWb1P.jpg

Reply 13 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

depending on the price, that could be an interesting load. Bottom right is a some or other SB16, above and to the right of that is a card with the interesting (if not great) Oak Mozart chip. Just like the Mediavision Jazz it's more than just a faceless clone. Top left is a HP OEM card with Aztech 2320, which is one of the least problematic SBPro2 clones. I'm also intrigued by all those CD-Rom controllers. Can't make out which standard they are for, but could be interesting. And yep, 3x AWE64 at least could help recoup costs if nothing else.

Reply 14 of 14, by stalk3r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

They finally went for EUR 70 plus shipping. I would have kept the VLB video cards only, and calculated that the AWE64s and the Tseng would cover most of the expenses if I sold them. My bid was EUR 60, but I am not disappointed after all, as selling the unnecessary cards are rather cumbersome and time consuming.