VOGONS

First post, by retropol

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I remember this was my fathers monitor (connected to his old / very old computer - maybe it was 286 or even older I dont know now)
I found it in the parents house attic, after almost 30 years... and started it - I saw b/w display, all ok - but tried only text mode.
Windows high resolution / frequency issue is that it looks like non-sync.

Question is:

- what kind of monitor it is - VGA/ CGA/ EGA/ HERCULES compatibile? - there is D-Sub like connector - however only few pinouts there - see picture,
- what gfx card it can support VGA? sync issues? will that work with windows? maybe 3.1 only?
- there are some controls at the back - see picture

Attachments

• IMG_2677.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2677.JPG
    File size
    52.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_2676.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_2676.JPG
    File size
    73.5 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 3, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VGA. Possibly mono.

Max refresh: you'd need to find specs, can't tell from pictures alone - but don't expect too much. 640x480@60Hz might be the best it can do.

Reply 2 of 3, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like VGA mono that properly averages all RGB inputs (some mono monitors would only have G pin, rarely only R). It should be capable of 640x480 60Hz but above that, who knows.
Missing pins were quite common, why waste precious gold-plated material for unused connections.

Reply 3 of 3, by dkarguth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Take a close-up picture of the tube. The pattern on the tube face should reveal if it is a color or monochrome. It is either Monochrome VGA or very early color VGA. I have an NEC multisync (the original from 1986) that has the exact same pins missing. It is a color monitor.

"And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." -Red Green