VOGONS

First post, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so I am back from the dead and I have gotten my King machine running again and got some pretty rare utilities off it along with chipset drivers and the chipset manual.

Years ago I promised to post this stuff but the machine was down for ages, and then I had a bunch of personal and family issues that need not be discussed, but I have most of the stuff ready to go and I uploaded it to my gdrive.

The package contains the following.

VIA 4in1 v443 drivers
VIA Hyperion Pro v524A drivers
VIAApolloPro133t.pdf
WPCREdit
WPCRSet
2 text files with WPCR notes

The later two are the only way to enable memory interleaving, I do not have documentation anymore for them or their use so please don't ask, maybe wayback machine has them, but I have been unable to find anything for some years now. Perhaps your google-fu is better than mine. I also do not know the license conditions on them, and it would be a shame for this very useful software to disappear forever.

Cheers, and happy Tualatin tweaking.

I can assure you the files are original and have no malware that I know of, feel free to upload them virustotal of course.

link https://drive.google.com/open?id=14FETfFlyN_m … 3gdxCIyN44JKsVg

After many hours of digging I found the VIA Apollo Pro 133T memory tweak guide from the ancient VIA forums on the wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020606002814/ht … weakguide1.shtm

Last snapshot of h.oda's page with WPCREdit/Set and VIA Apollo pro 133 pcr file

https://web.archive.org/web/20031227000349/ht … /www.h-oda.com/

Overclockers.com article on overclocking the chipset

https://www.overclockers.com/wpcredit/

Last edited by RoyBatty on 2019-05-28, 05:37. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 4 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

Thanks!

Still got your Tualatin system?

Dude, welcome back! Any news from the off world colonies?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 17, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have a TUV4X board around here somewhere. Was always fond of that board, despite having to run the AGP at 2x to get it stable.
I definitely remember memory interleaving being enabled right outta the box, though. Maybe I had a later revision?

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 7 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RoyBatty wrote:

Thanks!

Still got your Tualatin system?

I do! It’s packed away ATM though while I go through a C64 phase. ~1399MHz slower but just as fun 😎

All the best with your IRL issues.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 17, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have bios 1006.002 on it and memory interleave never worked until I found that utility to enable it, and it works. This bios is still available from ASUS. Read around write also is unstable, so I leave that disabled, I seem to have lost my little paper with the important bios settings, I'll have to try and remember them... been 10 years 😁

Yes having to run the AGP bus at 2X is very annoying, but that's just a drawback of VIAs broken AGP implementation. The hyperion pro drivers work better for me than the 443 ones. I do not recommend anything newer in terms of video card, just too unstable on the board. I have a 6200 in it right now and used to have a 7600 in it, and they were never stable. I did get the 7600 fairly stable with NGO drivers though.

:EDIT: I guess I will still have to try and extract my custom bios, but I have no floppy or disks so I am unable to boot into dos.

@badmojo Hah, yeah I have since retired from C64 after spending entirely too much time in my life devoted to the machine, moved on to more modern stuff and having a lot more fun modding those games and learning to develop and model. Super fond memories of it though, but I don't think I will miss coding 1541 loaders, as much time as I spent doing that haha. Sometimes I fire up some space taxi or paradroid and enjoy my favorite old games.

Last edited by RoyBatty on 2019-05-01, 16:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 17, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So the VIA c3 cpus works fine in the TUV4X? I will need update mine for the lastest BIOS version.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 10 of 17, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about that , the TU stands for Tualatin, there is a Celeron version of the board too which is CUV4X. The chipset is VIA Apollo Pro 133T , that's what I was talking about with their broken AGP implementation.

Reply 11 of 17, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the upload. I have a TUV4X system with a 1.2 Tualatin. Don't know if I installed all these files. Have the CUV4X as backup/spare.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 12 of 17, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still trying to figure out how I can dump the bios which has the tb1 stepping patch without dos, I have no floppy/disks that work so I'm at a loss because it can't boot from usb stick.

Reply 13 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

I don't know about that , the TU stands for Tualatin, there is a Celeron version of the board too which is CUV4X. The chipset is VIA Apollo Pro 133T , that's what I was talking about with their broken AGP implementation.

The CUV4X is actually the (older) Coppermine version of this board. Cu is the symbol of copper, like Au is for gold and As is for silver.
There were actually Celeron boards made by ASUS. The MEL-C is one example of them, though that board used an Intel chipset.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RoyBatty wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the info.

These boards were actually of pretty good quality. The LX chipset was their biggest letdown.
A good thing that the Mendocino s370 chips were actually still fairly good performance wise. Alas, not so much when it comes to upgrading 😜

I used a s370 LX board for many years and have fond memories of using it 😀
I had wanted to upgrade it and actually started at some point, but it never amounted to much at all as I went ahead and stuck my head into other projects 😜

It's not a Tualatin, but it's definitely very similar to, say, ss7.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 17, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

After a bunch of searching I found that you can set the AGP drive strength also with WPCRset.

The offset is B1 and you can try value DA to get 4X AGP working or EA if that doesn't work.