VOGONS

First post, by classicvga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advise for picking the best socket 939 motherboard for my needs. Im currently running my setup on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 with Athlon XP 2500+ which is perfectly fine. But you probably know the hassle when your cpu doesn't support proper SSE2 instruction set which means I will have to upgrade both MB/CPU. The system is mostly used for retro 3D cards testing and some light gaming of course 😀
My choices are narrowed down to these models below, simply because I can find them on my local market. But since they are not at the bargain prices to say the least, I would like to know your opinion about it.
Asus A8V Deluxe
MSI K8T Neo2-FIR
Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939

What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience with these models? Which one would you pick if prices are comparable? Or are they any other options on the market? The "ultimate" MB should support Athlon 64 X2, AGP and 4GB of DDR400.

would appreciate any input on this topic, thx 😀
classicvga

Reply 1 of 9, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What OS(es) are you going to be running?

The ASUS and MSI use VIA chipsets, while the Gigabyte one uses an Nforce 3 Ultra chipset. Supposedly the chipset drivers for the nForce chipset are buggy on Windows 9x.

People also like this board: Asrock 939 Dual SATA
It has both AGP and PCIe

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 9, by classicvga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

What OS(es) are you going to be running?

I'll be running WinXP 32bit SP3. So I guess both nforce or VIA should be alright then?
I was also considering Asrock 939 Dual SATA (or other Asrock Vista or similar) but I don't need extra PCIe slot - I have separate system just for that alone- and 2GB RAM limit + weak overclocking potential crossed it off my list.

thx for comment!
classicvga

Reply 3 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For Socket 939 with AGP the best options are more or less boiled down to ABIT or ASUS boards based on VIA chipset. MSI is not good overclocker and everything else is just meh.
Nforce 3 boards are more varied: Gigabyte, Epox, DFI, MSI. All have some flaws, but quite usable for Windows XP SP3.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 9, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got an ASUS A8V and it's fine.

A period Anandtech review favors the nForce3-250 boards over the VIA K8T800 options: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1398/19. Of the VIA options, they recommended the Abit AV8 and Asus A8V Deluxe.

Reply 5 of 9, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
classicvga wrote:
Hi Everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi Everyone,

I need a bit of advise for picking the best socket 939 motherboard for my needs. Im currently running my setup on Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 with Athlon XP 2500+ which is perfectly fine. But you probably know the hassle when your cpu doesn't support proper SSE2 instruction set which means I will have to upgrade both MB/CPU. The system is mostly used for retro 3D cards testing and some light gaming of course 😀
My choices are narrowed down to these models below, simply because I can find them on my local market. But since they are not at the bargain prices to say the least, I would like to know your opinion about it.
Asus A8V Deluxe
MSI K8T Neo2-FIR
Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939

What do you guys think? Does anyone have experience with these models? Which one would you pick if prices are comparable? Or are they any other options on the market? The "ultimate" MB should support Athlon 64 X2, AGP and 4GB of DDR400.

classicvga

If you are already going to pay that much, I would also look at 775 boards with AGP. There are a few ASrock dual models that can take 800fsb core2duo processors (I think same can even take 1066), and they usually go for about 70$ on ebay (same as 939 AGP boards really).

Reply 6 of 9, by classicvga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all guys for help, So it seems I should be looking more closely at ASUS A8V with VIA K8T800 then.
And DFI/ABIT/EPOX are not the option at my region and ebay prices are out of my budget.

What about GA-K8NS-939? Is it any good? Does anyone have experience?I often come across a very nice deal for about 20-25USD locally but not sure about nforce3 limitation under WindowsXP etc.
thx
classicvga

Reply 7 of 9, by classicvga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote:
classicvga wrote:
Hi Everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi Everyone,

Asus A8V Deluxe
MSI K8T Neo2-FIR
Gigabyte GA-K8NS-939

classicvga

If you are already going to pay that much, I would also look at 775 boards with AGP. There are a few ASrock dual models that can take 800fsb core2duo processors (I think same can even take 1066), and they usually go for about 70$ on ebay (same as 939 AGP boards really).

You are right, I was thinking about this option too. But I leave it for the future Intel project. : 😀 Now it's AMD time!

Reply 8 of 9, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an Epox 9NDA3J Nforce 3 Ultra, and it has been a great board for over 15 years (being used regularly for about 12 of those). With a beta BIOS installed it even has support for Athlon 64 X2 processors.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 9 of 9, by classicvga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote:

I have an Epox 9NDA3J Nforce 3 Ultra, and it has been a great board for over 15 years (being used regularly for about 12 of those). With a beta BIOS installed it even has support for Athlon 64 X2 processors.

Thx for suggestion. Yes, the EpoX boards used to have very good reputations in my country in their peak time. But they are also quite pricey and not easy to find 🙁
I
In the meantime I am slowly arranging deal for Asus A8V board as others suggested, can't wait to get my retro build completed! 😀