VOGONS

First post, by marqus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

does anyone know if the Asus P2B-S board is compatible to Geforce 4 TI4600 AGP graphics card?
What will happen if I put it on the board and fire up?

thx,
Markus

Reply 1 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The regular 4600 is a universal AGP card that will work in with any AGP revision. Avoid the later 4600-8, which is an AGP 3.0 card that doesn't work at 3.3V. Don't worry about it blowing up - it physically won't fit.

But...

Early AGP implementations couldn't deliver as much current as later ones. Given that the GF4 is more power-hungry than anything around in 1999, it might not work (reliably, at full speed). But someone who actually tried a combination like this would have to clarify that bit...

Reply 2 of 10, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:

The regular 4600 is a universal AGP card that will work in with any AGP revision. Avoid the later 4600-8, which is an AGP 3.0 card that doesn't work at 3.3V. Don't worry about it blowing up - it physically won't fit.

But...

Early AGP implementations couldn't deliver as much current as later ones. Given that the GF4 is more power-hungry than anything around in 1999, it might not work (reliably, at full speed). But someone who actually tried a combination like this would have to clarify that bit...

was there a "4600-8"?
AFAIK the ti 4600 with AGP 8x is called TI 4800, and it actually works with AGP 3.3v also

well, I can't help the OP much, but my Radeon 9500PRO (which is also an AGP8x with 3.3v support card) worked fine on the P2B, but I'm not sure about the power concerns because it had a external power connector.

Reply 4 of 10, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marqus wrote:

does anyone know if the Asus P2B-S board is compatible to Geforce 4 TI4600 AGP graphics card?
What will happen if I put it on the board and fire up?

I use an Asus P3B-F and it works fine @ 133MHz FSB with a Ti4600 (i.e. AGP runs overclocked). Zero problems running 3DMark 2001SE. The P2B and P3B both use the i440BX chipset, so it will likely work just fine in a P2B.

Reply 5 of 10, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Ti4400 (clocked only slightly lower than a 4600) works fine in my Dell T-series machine, which uses an Intel-made BX board. You should have no problems at all.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 8 of 10, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
marqus wrote:

Damn, then my TI4600 is broken. Shows crazy letters/Ascii on first post already. I am sure, that it run well 2 years ago in a different PC. Did not change a thing...

You can replace the electrolytic capacitors and see whether that helps. What for brand and model is it?

Reply 9 of 10, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's probably a bad memory on the video card. It's not very common on Ti4600, but it happens. But on newer cards (from GF6) it's far more common. Geforce 8 cards is one of the worst series. Radeon cards starting with 9700 Pro are also very likely to be defective (high end cards, the low end cards are not affected so much).

Reply 10 of 10, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never had any problems whatsoever with the 440BX and GF4 combo, always worked perfectly for me.

GF4 is also a great choice if you want to run the FSB at higher speeds than 100MHz, thus overclocking the AGP bus, they seem to be very OC tolerant. Actually managed to run one of my GF4200 cards at 100MHz AGP for months, had left the divider at 1/1 by mistake when playing around with some CPUs. Set it back to 2/3 when I found out, but can't remember that I had any problems at all during that time.