VOGONS

First post, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Toshiba T3400CT with DOS 6.00 and Windows 3.1. Only problem is, as good as I am with Windows 95 to anything modern, Windows 3.X is a little before my time and I'm a bit stumped. I'd like to use the PCMCIA slot . I have obtained a couple of cards I believe should work nicely; a 3com EtherLink III LAN PC Card (3C589C) and a DELL Audio PCMCIA card Type CB-001. I believe the latter to be a rebranded IBM 3D Sound card as it says Assembled in Canada, Made for Dell by IBM.

I have two problems, one is a complete lack of correct drivers and the other is a complete lack of knowledge of how to install PCMCIA devices in Windows 3.1. Any help in both regards appreciated please.

So far, if I plug in the the cards, the Toshiba/Phoenix PCMCIA utility in control panel reports the following:

The 3com card:
Socket 1 status - 3Com Corporation - 3C589 - Configured: NO

The Dell audio card:
Socket 1 status - IBM - NON-DSP AUDIO - Configured: NO

Last edited by mikeyp on 2019-05-04, 23:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you need the drivers for Windows 3.1 for those cards.

For the 3COM card, these drivers should work:
http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/NET/3COM/3C589N.ZIP

From here:
http://files.mpoli.fi/hardware/NET/3COM/

I think you can get the drivers for the sound card here:
http://nwserveur.no-ip.org/win3xorg/devices/P … 20Card/drivers/

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 15, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you cyclone3d. I'll give those 3com drivers a go.

It turns out lolo799 had already answered the sound card question a while back here. Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards It's not a 3d sound but something else. I totally forgot as it's taken me 3 months to get the laptop up and running again.

I've just tried to tackle the audio card. I've installed the driver but it's saying "PCMCIA Audio Card is not enabled. Please run Audio Configuration." When I run PCMCIA Audio Configuration, there is a Resources button to check and allocate resources for the audio adapter. It then says "Configuration has detected a problem with a previous attempt to allocate memory for the Audio Adapter. You may continue to configure the card, but be aware that the system may hang. If this occurs, it may be necessary to allocate resources manually. See WINAUDIO.WRI for details." On continuing, the system hangs. I'm not sure what to look for now.

Reply 3 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I think I found the Windows 95 drivers for that PCMCIA sound card.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/dr … d=R18619&lwp=rt

Filename
DELL_SND.EXE
File size
360.96 KiB
Downloads
73 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Ok.. think I found the Windows 3.1 drivers as well. Guess I might as well download the 95 and the 3.x drivers and upload them to this post since they are small enough.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/dr … driverid=r18699 - 3.x Disk 1

Filename
AUDPCM1.EXE
File size
1.46 MiB
Downloads
71 downloads
File license

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/dr … driverid=r18757 - 3.x Disk 2

Filename
AUDPCM2.EXE
File size
1.58 MiB
Downloads
97 downloads
File license

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 15, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCMCIA was definitely one of those things that got a lot easier with Win95. Are the DOS drivers and card services for the PCMCIA controller itself installed? These need to be loaded before any drivers and the cards themselves are loaded. They were usually provided by CardSoft and seem to be difficult to find now (the company seems to be aggressive in purging any archives, last I looked I kept finding dead links) - I gave up with my last 486 laptop for this reason and just installed Win95.

Reply 5 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.ido wrote:

PCMCIA was definitely one of those things that got a lot easier with Win95. Are the DOS drivers and card services for the PCMCIA controller itself installed? These need to be loaded before any drivers and the cards themselves are loaded. They were usually provided by CardSoft and seem to be difficult to find now (the company seems to be aggressive in purging any archives, last I looked I kept finding dead links) - I gave up with my last 486 laptop for this reason and just installed Win95.

I've got a copy of Cardsoft 3.1 (from 1994) as well as the Phoenix card services installer.

Pretty sure I have a card or two with original software that also has a copy of some card services package included.

I should probably upload them to vogonsdrivers so other people have easier access to them.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 15, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, thank you cyclone3d, those 3com drivers appear to be working. I need to install the TCP/IP stack now and see if I can get network access up and running.

Nice find on the Dell audio drivers. It was fun getting them onto something I could write the floppy image to though as they're not standard format images and the dcopy utility would only run on old Windows. I'll have to convert them to something a bit easier and re-upload them. I'm still struggling with the resource conflict though and no idea how to resolve it.

Thank you dr.ido. Yes, the drivers for the PCMCIA controller do appear to be installed. Re. the drivers, this is the original factory install of Windows 3.1 so has all the drivers ready loaded. I even have the Toshiba restore floppy images still on the drive so I'd bet the drivers are in as part of those. I have backed up the entire drive before I started messing with it (V-Sign virus included but don't worry it's only in the mbr of the disk image not any files. I've checked thoroughly.) and intend to upload all the floppy restore images for archival at some point. Here are some photos showing stuff (PCMCIA and 3com network card) loading on boot.

IMG_1775.JPG
Filename
IMG_1775.JPG
File size
111.28 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1780.JPG
Filename
IMG_1780.JPG
File size
99.43 KiB
Views
File license

Here is a photograph of the 3com card loaded and also of the audio card failing to load.

IMG_1781.JPG
Filename
IMG_1781.JPG
File size
80.93 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1782.JPG
Filename
IMG_1782.JPG
File size
70.98 KiB
Views
File license

Because of the problems allocating resources, I get the following message when Windows loads.

IMG_1783.JPG
Filename
IMG_1783.JPG
File size
151.68 KiB
Views
File license

I've run out of attachments so will continue in the next post.

Reply 7 of 15, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running Audio configuration produces the following dialogues, after the last of which it hangs, though can be recovered with Ctrl-Alt-Del, then press enter to close the program. Obviously this leaves it still unconfigured.

IMG_1784.JPG
Filename
IMG_1784.JPG
File size
104.33 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1785.JPG
Filename
IMG_1785.JPG
File size
129.94 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_1786.JPG
Filename
IMG_1786.JPG
File size
113.95 KiB
Views
File license

It then suggests I look in WINAUDIO.WRI and attempt to configure it manually but this is where I have *no idea* what I'm doing. Here's a pdf conversion of WINAUDIO.WRI

Filename
WINAUDIO.pdf
File size
138.98 KiB
Downloads
73 downloads
File license

Reply 8 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is the section in the document that is for manual configuration:

Manual Resource Configuration
The Audio Configuration program will attempt to detect conflicts between the Audio Adapter and
other system components with respect to memory and I/O ports. It is possible that your computer
has a memory or I/O port conflict that is beyond the scope of Audio Configuration. In this case,
you will have to manually allocate resources for the Audio Adapter. After any change in the
WINAUDIO.INI file Windows must be restarted for your change to take effect. Before performing
any manual configuration of the card, it is recommended that you allow Audio Configuration to
attempt resource allocation.
Resources for the Audio Adapter are specified in the WINAUDIO.INI file in your WINDOWS
directory. The relevant sections of the file and valid entries are:
[IO_Ports]
Range1_Start=0x250 < valid entries: 0x250, 0x650, 0xA50, 0xE50 >
Range1_End=0x25F < valid entries: 0x25F, 0x65F, 0xA5F, 0xE5F >
Range2_Start=0x340 < valid entries: 0x340, 0x740, 0xB40, 0xF40 >
Range2_End= 0x347 < valid entries: 0x347, 0x747, 0xB47, 0xF47 >
[Memory]
Range1_Start=0xCF00 < valid entries: 0xCF00, 0xDF00, 0xEF00, 0 >
Range1_End=0xCFFF < valid entries: 0xCFFF, 0xDFFF, 0xEFFF, 0 >
The "0x" in front of each value denotes a hexadecimal number. Note that when Card and Socket
Services are installed the [Memory] section will have 0 for both start and end values since no
memory window is required in this environment. If Setup/Configuration was not able to allocate
I/O ports all four values in the [IO_Ports] section will be 0, as will the entries in the [Memory]
section if the Audio Adapter is point enabled and no free memory window was located.

So first of all, look in Winaudio.INI and see what the specified settings in there say.

You have 4 different valid ranges for each range. For example, the first valid range in range 1 would be 0x250 and 0x25F.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 15, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. I'm guessing I need to choose one of those ranges, exclude it from EMM386 and include it in WINAUDIO.INI?

For the sake of completing the picture, my current CONFIG.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT and WINAUDIO.INI files are as follows. Any errors aren't mine by the way. These are as per Toshiba/The previous owner/any software installed.

CONFIG.SYS

[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS

[NETWORK]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE X=A000-AFFF X=B800-C7FF I=B000-B7FF I=C800-EFFF NOEMS X=C800-C8FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB
REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 1408 /E
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM /P /E:1024

[STANDALONE]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE X=A000-AFFF X=B800-C8FF NOEMS X=C800-C8FF
DOS=HIGH,UMB

[COMMON]
BUFFERS=30
FILES=80
STACKS=0,0
[COMMON]

[KEYBOARD]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\ansi.sys
country=044,850,country.sys
device=c:\dos\display.sys con=(,,2)

[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\PCMPLUS\PCMSS.EXE
DEVICE=C:\PCMPLUS\PCMCS.EXE /WAIT=20 /ADDR=C8 /IRQ=10
DEVICE=C:\PCMPLUS\PCMSCD.EXE /BEEP /COM=2 /RS=4
lastdrive=z

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@echo off
cls
prompt $p$g
path c:\dos;c:\network;c:\cv;c:\cpqdos
rem mode cli=0

rem keyboard
rem mode con cp prepare=((850,437) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
rem mode con cp select=850
keyb uk,,C:\DOS\keyboard.sys

set TEMP=C:\TEMP
PATH = %PATH%;C:\PCMPLUS

@echo off
REM Netware startup
if not exist C:\NWCLIENT\lsl.com goto noNetware
if not exist C:\NWCLIENT\i*xodi.com goto noNetware
if not exist C:\NWCLIENT\vlm.exe goto noNetware
C:\NWCLIENT\lsl.com
C:\NWCLIENT\3C589.com
C:\NWCLIENT\ipxodi.com
C:\NWCLIENT\vlm.exe
rem f:\login
c:
goto doneNetware
:noNetware
echo Netware client software missing, Netware not started
:doneNetware

rem cd WINDOWS
rem win

WINAUDIO.INI

[CSS]
Vendor=0
Version=0

[resources]
Mem=1

[UserFiles]
path=C:\WINAUDIO\

Reply 10 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok.. you can probably get rid of the netware stuff in autoexec.bat. I would just try REM ing out those lines.

What is the PCMPLUS stuff for in config.sys?

I am also not sure that those addresses will need to be excluded from EMM386. Also not sure that the current exluded addresses really need to be there.

It also looks like you don't have card services installed... but I don't think that should really matter since you aren't using the car in pure DOS mode.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 15, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Ok.. you can probably get rid of the netware stuff in autoexec.bat. I would just try REM ing out those lines. […]
Show full quote

Ok.. you can probably get rid of the netware stuff in autoexec.bat. I would just try REM ing out those lines.

What is the PCMPLUS stuff for in config.sys?

I am also not sure that those addresses will need to be excluded from EMM386. Also not sure that the current exluded addresses really need to be there.

It also looks like you don't have card services installed... but I don't think that should really matter since you aren't using the car in pure DOS mode.

Netware stuff is related to the 3com ethernet card and driver. It seems to need it to load the ethernet card.

PCMPLUS is the PCMCIA software, socket services, card services etc. See first screenshot above.

Agreed about the EMM386 exclusions but a little scared to take stuff out for fear of breaking it. I know C800-C8FF is required by Toshiba Card Manager. Do I need the second EMM386 line under [STANDALONE]?

I believe card services is installed as per the first screenshot above on boot.

Reply 12 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dur.... guess I should have looked closer at the screenshots.

I still don't think the netware stuff needs to be there unless you are planning on logging into a Netware network.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetWare

It looks like the original owner had some config.sys and autoexec.bat menus set up. That is what the different sections are for.

I would REM out the second EMM386 and DOS=HIGH, UMB lines in config.sys.

I would also REM out the netware lines and see if the network card still works in Windows. Just add "REM" to the beginning of each line. If something messes up, you can just go back in and remove REM.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 15, by mikeyp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

I would REM out the second EMM386 and DOS=HIGH, UMB lines in config.sys.

I would also REM out the netware lines and see if the network card still works in Windows. Just add "REM" to the beginning of each line. If something messes up, you can just go back in and remove REM.

OK, I cleaned up the 2 files as below. I also upgraded the RAM from 8MB to 20MB. 😀 Without the netware client, the ethernet card doesn't load. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling it a different way. Audio configuration still hangs too.

CONFIG.SYS

[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
COUNTRY=044,850,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS D=64 X=A000-AFFF X=B800-C7FF I=C900-EFFF X=C800-C8FF
REM DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE 28000 RAM D=64 X=A000-AFFF FRAME=C800...
REM DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\RAMDRIVE.SYS 1408 /E
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM /P /E:1024

[COMMON]
BUFFERS=30
FILES=80
STACKS=0,0

[KEYBOARD]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\ansi.sys
DEVICEHIGH=c:\dos\display.sys con=(,,2)

[COMMON]
DEVICEHIGH=C:\PCMPLUS\PCMSS.EXE
DEVICEHIGH=C:\PCMPLUS\PCMCS.EXE /WAIT=20 /ADDR=C8 /IRQ=10
DEVICEHIGH=C:\PCMPLUS\PCMSCD.EXE /BEEP /COM=2 /RS=4

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@echo off
VERIFY OFF
SET TEMP=C:\TEMP
PATH c:\dos;C:\WINDOWS;c:\network;c:\cv;c:\cpqdos;C:\PCMPLUS
PROMPT $p$g
lh keyb uk,,C:\DOS\keyboard.sys

REM Netware startup
rem if not exist C:\NWCLIENT\lsl.com goto noNetware
rem if not exist C:\NWCLIENT\i*xodi.com goto noNetware
rem if not exist C:\NWCLIENT\vlm.exe goto noNetware
rem C:\NWCLIENT\lsl.com
rem C:\NWCLIENT\3C589.com
rem C:\NWCLIENT\ipxodi.com
rem C:\NWCLIENT\vlm.exe
rem f:\login
rem C:
rem goto doneNetware
rem :noNetware
rem echo Netware client software missing, Netware not started
rem :doneNetware

rem cd WINDOWS
rem win

Reply 14 of 15, by nikkoretro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mikeyp wrote on 2019-05-05, 21:47:

this is the original factory install of Windows 3.1 so has all the drivers ready loaded. I even have the Toshiba restore floppy images still on the drive so I'd bet the drivers are in as part of those. I have backed up the entire drive before I started messing with it (V-Sign virus included but don't worry it's only in the mbr of the disk image not any files. I've checked thoroughly.) and intend to upload all the floppy restore images for archival at some point.

(apologies for resurrecting an old thread) This is an impressive find @mikeyp! Did you happen to upload those restore floppy images anywhere? Locating disks or finding these old Win3.1 laptops with factory install is becoming near impossible. I'm also working on a Portege T3400 and would love to load up the factory Win 3.1 image. You could even just upload the hdd image to archive.org (or wherever), I'm happy to restore with that, and do the rest 😀

Reply 15 of 15, by Masaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mikeyp wrote on 2019-05-05, 21:47:

Thank you dr.ido. Yes, the drivers for the PCMCIA controller do appear to be installed. Re. the drivers, this is the original factory install of Windows 3.1 so has all the drivers ready loaded. I even have the Toshiba restore floppy images still on the drive so I'd bet the drivers are in as part of those. I have backed up the entire drive before I started messing with it (V-Sign virus included but don't worry it's only in the mbr of the disk image not any files. I've checked thoroughly.) and intend to upload all the floppy restore images for archival at some point. Here are some photos showing stuff (PCMCIA and 3com network card) loading on boot.

i'm also interested on that backup image of the entire drive with the V-Sign virus on it 😀

VCheck+ Portable Antivirus for DOS
=========================
https://archive.org/details/VCHECK/