VOGONS

Reply 60 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MKT_Gundam wrote:

I have a TU4vx(S370) and and VIA c3 for a setmul project, but the lack of ISA is not worth for use with DOS games.

There are S370 MB with ISA slot, there is one overpriced MB with 2 slots - Soyo SY-7VBA133U, others have 1.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 61 of 115, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:
MKT_Gundam wrote:

I have a TU4vx(S370) and and VIA c3 for a setmul project, but the lack of ISA is not worth for use with DOS games.

There are S370 MB with ISA slot, there is one overpriced MB with 2 slots - Soyo SY-7VBA133U, others have 1.

I plan to do something similar in a modern mATX case with this:

PC-Partner-PM601-TMS3-T898-C.jpg

Decent PCI video card and decent ISA sound card, a VIA C3 667 and setmul. I wish I had a faster C3 but alas, for now this is it.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 62 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So setmul is not working with SC370 Pentiums and Celerons but its fully working with Cyrix C3 in SC370?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 63 of 115, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

So setmul is not working with SC370 Pentiums and Celerons but its fully working with Cyrix C3 in SC370?

It was specifically coded for the C3 initially IIRC.

Reply 64 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does is work with all - fastest C3? What is comparsion of fastest C3 vs. Tualatin PIII?

Update, i found Kamerats tests:
VIA C3 Nehemiah vs. Coppermine(-128) and Tualatin // Its seems to be slimmer for games.. But i depends how you look at it, its still probably a lot faster that K6-III+ and it there are not compatibility issues and you want to use Setmul, it could be best option.

Last edited by ruthan on 2019-06-18, 11:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 65 of 115, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

Does is work with all - fastest C3? What is comparsion of fastest C3 vs. Tualatin PIII?

A 1GHz C3 is about as fast as a 500-600MHz P3.

VIA C3 Nehemiah vs. Coppermine(-128) and Tualatin

Reply 66 of 115, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
ruthan wrote:
MKT_Gundam wrote:

I plan to do something similar in a modern mATX case with this:

Decent PCI video card and decent ISA sound card, a VIA C3 667 and setmul. I wish I had a faster C3 but alas, for now this is it.

I dont have luck finding later mobos in good conditions.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 67 of 115, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MKT_Gundam wrote:

Do you have anything for Slot 1?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 68 of 115, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
MKT_Gundam wrote:

My actual build is a soyo Sy 6BE +with BX chipset.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 69 of 115, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MKT_Gundam wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
MKT_Gundam wrote:

My actual build is a soyo Sy 6BE +with BX chipset.

Check the VRM. It might work for a C3 slocket build.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 70 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some progress, i find out that my SC370 MB is not Tualatin ready, so i better one with arrive in few days.

SS7 goodies are ready and running - I got Geforce 3 TI 200 as good base line and passive cooling for best videocard regardless which one it would be. I also got couple of K6-2/2+ cpus.. i order more of them, because of shipping cost and plan to sell them locally to cover price of shipping.
Its AMD-K6-2 400 (bundled with MB) / 450 (this one was cheap) / 550 and AMD K6-2+ 533 / 550.

Board is old good - Gigabyte GB-5ax but only rev 4.1, but i found out that if set it for 6x multiplier its as is for rev 5.2 in its manual its working, so only big missing feature is probably ATA33 vs ATA 66, Bios is the same for all revision.

I though that i have last bios - i was marked as 1.4 - so it thought that is rev F4, because date of award bios was the same, but it wasnt last F4. Good is that even with old bios all CPUs were detected, only without right names - just unknown.

Only big problem is still memory, board advertising up to 768 MB, it tried lots of sticks, but only 128 MB ones are working, 256 are not working at all, or are detected as 512 (memtest is of course falling with them). I tried one sided, these with 8 chips, double sided.. still nothing. If someone has working 256 MB chip, with this ALI SS7 chipset or even better with this MB, give me know. I really want to try Win2000 / XP on with more RAM.

Update: Here is some info about mem, that at least VIA has issues with that and that for some MBs exists some hacked bioses:
Re: Super Socket 7: VIA MVP3 vs. ALi Aladdin V

2019-06-28 22.49.47-SS7goodies.jpg
Filename
2019-06-28 22.49.47-SS7goodies.jpg
File size
411.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2019-06-28 22.50.03-SS7-Cpus.jpg
Filename
2019-06-28 22.50.03-SS7-Cpus.jpg
File size
359.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 71 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally got SS7 running - AMD K6 2+ - 550MHz + Geforce 3 TI 200 - 384 MB Ram with Win98SE installed on SD card to IDE adapter.

Not typically i first used ultimate Windows 98 + drivers package iso - https://msfn.org/board/topic/98369-driver-pac … ows-959898seme/ so it could make some difference.
After years its i almost forgot how it is, i admit that it has its atmosphere play in 800x600 with analog output.. but when i compare it with my X58 with Radeon X800 XL which is capable to do most of Windows 98 games but in crisp 1600x1200 / 1920x1200 or in modern OS with some fiddling to make old games working.
So for me this machine, if i would ignore that retro feel, make would make sense primary Dos gaming and some really problematic Win9x games.. because of great state nGlide in modern machines etc.. there is not big need to even use 3dfx card with this machine.
Its not even fast enough to do Quake III demo 800x600 FPS 60, at least not without some overclocking and tuning - i tried newest Nvidia 82.69 driver (i was installed by that Windows 98 distro..) and old 12.xx driver, but its the same in bigger DM7.. i got ~40 FPS, i dunno if full game has some big performance improvements.

Otherwise in 1st post i added lots some links about topic - there are lots some ALI vs. MVP3 benchmarks done by some Vogons people.

Reply 72 of 115, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I reply a little late with my personal opinions as a 486-> PentiumD player.

If you want a single machine you must go down to several compromises, a slot1 with an unlocked PentiumII can run at 133 mhz up to 1400mhz using two CPUs, a klamath and a tualatin, but you won't have a slow or fast enough computer. You will, however, be lucky with the ISA slot, which is the TRUE NEED for Retrogaming.

I came to the conclusion that you need at least 2 computers, a super socket7 that can work from the slow pentium 90 (75 if the mainboard allows it) to the K6III 500 with the ISA slot. To be honest, a 486 computer would complete the range down, but perhaps not strictly necessary. What, in my opinion, is necessary is to add a pentium4 (ISA slot not more necessary) to the Super Socket7 that will be used for games where the K6III does not have enough power (windows games, the DOS one are all played with the ss7) , and will take you to the threshold of retrogaming, after the pentium4 I think it is current gaming and you can use the modern i7. These are my considerations, also endorsed by friends here on the forum.

Reply 73 of 115, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

Apparently you can if you have both slots and right bios.

No. Combining SIMM and DIMM will fry any "modern" SDRAM, because it's not designed to work at 5V and powered directly from PSU.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 74 of 115, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this 486 build is a good build because you can down clock the CPU to 386sx-25mhz for playing old DOS games and play modern DOS games at 100 or 133mhz.

Build notes
Intel 486dx4-100 vs. AMD 5x86-133 on LS-486 with SB AWE64

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-07-08, 21:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 75 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

No. Combining SIMM and DIMM will fry any "modern" SDRAM, because it's not designed to work at 5V and powered directly from PSU.

I dont thing that these MBs are so stupid, its like different voltage for AGP slot and CPU socket, they are probably able to use 2 different voltages for 2 different times of memory slots.

Reply 76 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I think this 486 build is a good build because you can down clock the CPU to 386sx-25mhz for for playing old DOS games and play modern DOS games at 100 or 133mhz.

Phil done some i thing Pentium 200 zillions speeds test enable, disable caches and different clock speeds etc..

By the way K6-II+ at lowest speed without underclocking FSB - at 150 or 200 MHz and disable caches, that is comparable 386/486 system?

Reply 77 of 115, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

they are probably able to use 2 different voltages for 2 different times of memory slots.

They can't.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 78 of 115, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I think this 486 build is a good build because you can down clock the CPU to 386sx-25mhz for for playing old DOS games and play modern DOS games at 100 or 133mhz.

Phil done some i thing Pentium 200 zillions speeds test enable, disable caches and different clock speeds etc..

By the way K6-II+ at lowest speed without underclocking FSB - at 150 or 200 MHz and disable caches, that is comparable 386/486 system?

Yes, I have some SS7 AMD K6-3+ 450mhz builds over clocked to 550mhz.
If I enable turbo button I can cut the CPU speed in half to 333mhz.
If I use the Setmul utility in combination I can reduce the speed to 200mhz.
But that is not low enough to play CPU critical games like "Wing commander-1"
You need a 33mhz computer for that.
That is why I like the convenience and versatility of the 486 ( 66/100/133mhz. ) computer.

Reply 79 of 115, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about disabling the cache its still too quick? If yes for me slowdos utility was often solution.