VOGONS

First post, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently running a WIN98 system with a slot 1, PII 350, and I had wanted to upgrade it. So, I went onto Newegg and purchased a new CPU, a PIII 933. I may not use it due to the need to overclock, but there's still something I need to know.
The listing on Newegg called it a slot 1 CPU. What I got in the mail doesn't look like one to me.
These are the parts that I received today:
2qmg1et.jpg
Did I get the wrong thing?

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is a socket 370 CPU. So yeah, they sent you the wrong thing.

How much was that on Newegg?

Why not get a used one off of eBay?

What motherboard do you have?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by Gazirra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My MB is an AOpen Ax6bc. I bought this when I first learned that slotkets could allow for a more powerful CPU than the manufacturer says the board can use. Also, at the time I still owed Ebay some money and I couldn't order from them. I've since paid that off. I paid about $20 for this

Reply 3 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, you could get a slotket... or you could send that back for a refund and get a Slot 1 CPU.

Looking stuff up, it looks like people were able to use that board all the way up the the 153Mhz fsb setting with the BIOS that added support for the higher bus speeds.

Here is a 1Ghz Slot 1 for $29 shipped on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Pentium-III-PI … an/293074466850

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

How much was that on Newegg?

Why not get a used one off of eBay?

this is Newegg playing Amazon, they arent selling those, merely fronting some third party Chinese reseller, so its the same as buying on ebay,

cyclone3d wrote:

Here is a 1Ghz Slot 1 for $29 shipped on eBay.

werent 1ghz P3 coppermines unstable and recalled? or was that 1.13GHz?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 7, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK just the 1.13GHz. The story goes Intel tried to match (actually, even slightly outdo) AMD Athlon clock world-first, but their CPU fell flat on it's face when the various benchmarking sites noticed it's unstable. Intel recalled most of the stock.

Reply 6 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deunan wrote:

AFAIK just the 1.13GHz. The story goes Intel tried to match (actually, even slightly outdo) AMD Athlon clock world-first, but their CPU fell flat on it's face when the various benchmarking sites noticed it's unstable. Intel recalled most of the stock.

This is correct. It was just the 1.13Ghz Coppermine ones.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 7, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would only recommend slotkets (lots of different ones and potential compatibility issues) if it's for a Tualatin (clearly better than the best Slot 1 CPUs are), unless you get lucky and find a very good one easily.
in your case returning this Socket 370 CPU and getting a Slot 1 Coppermine from ebay makes more sense