VOGONS

Reply 20 of 23, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: I can confirm that the Genius MaxFire G-09D I posted on the previous page DOES work in DOS, because I now own it. (Hey, I had a 20% off coupon...)

The D-pad, analog stick, and wheel thing all act as the same axes, and buttons A & B are mapped to 1 and 2. I don't think profiles you program in the Win98 software "stick" for DOS use, but I haven't tested it very thoroughly.

This thing originally came with a power supply that daisy chains through the DB15 connector, but it doesn't seem to need it? Maybe there are sound cards out there that don't provide enough power, but on the AWE64 & Ensoniq AudioPCI/"Creative SB128" I tried it worked fine with no extra power. Also, after some digging, I managed to track down the driver software for it & a bunch of other Genius controllers and uploaded them here.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 21 of 23, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote on 2019-10-16, 08:38:

Update: I can confirm that the Genius MaxFire G-09D I posted on the previous page DOES work in DOS, because I now own it. (Hey, I had a 20% off coupon...)

The D-pad, analog stick, and wheel thing all act as the same axes, and buttons A & B are mapped to 1 and 2. I don't think profiles you program in the Win98 software "stick" for DOS use, but I haven't tested it very thoroughly.

This thing originally came with a power supply that daisy chains through the DB15 connector, but it doesn't seem to need it? Maybe there are sound cards out there that don't provide enough power, but on the AWE64 & Ensoniq AudioPCI/"Creative SB128" I tried it worked fine with no extra power. Also, after some digging, I managed to track down the driver software for it & a bunch of other Genius controllers and uploaded them here.

Bumping this with my (sadly not so successful) experience. I picked up a G-09D from ebay for use in my pure DOS machine. For me, only the d-pad and 4 face buttons work in DOS. (Two of those buttons actually register as buttons 1 & 2 on controller 2). No analogue functions.

I've tried it with and without the additional 12v power supply, in a Thrustmaster dual gameport card, and also in my Yamaha card's MIDI/gameport. Oh well!

The difference in the stickers on the back, despite the same model & FCC ID, might suggest a different hardware revision.

IMG_20200907_173151.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200907_173151.jpg
File size
90.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200907_173127.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200907_173127.jpg
File size
119.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 22 of 23, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2019-05-08, 23:36:

Yeah, they do exist.
Saitek X6-33M for example…

s-l1000.jpg

jaZz_KCS wrote on 2019-10-15, 09:41:

Can confirm the Saitek X6-33M to be DOS compatible out of the box. As expected, the buttons and axis are distributed through player1 and player2. (2 axis and 4 buttons each.)
I played through Tie Fighter with X6-33M this year.

After trying out a few different controllers last year, I landed on the Saitek X6-33M and I'm declaring it the only DOS gamepad you'd ever need. The flexibility is outstanding, the stick feels great and the d-pad & triggers are microswitched.

They also sold under the RadioShack brand, and I've just picked up one of those too as a backup. This one came with Win9x software, which I will archive soon if the disk is ok.

Radioshack MegaPad XVI.jpg
Filename
Radioshack MegaPad XVI.jpg
File size
209.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 23 of 23, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Microsoft Sidewinder is my choice of gamepad right now, has third party drivers to get it recognized in DOS, works out of the box with decent software in Win9X.

I found a schematic online for rewiring a PS1 controller to parallel port though, Wich seems like it might be a even better option assuming it works. Wonder if anyone has done anything like that for a Saturn controller.

No idea what to make of it as I can't read these kinda of schematics, nor do I know what kind of software you'd need to get it recognized in DOS. But it seems interesting.

Attachments

• psx.gif
    Filename
    psx.gif
    File size
    2.35 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain