VOGONS

First post, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

guys any of you have experience fixing CD-roms from year 2000-2010 ?

I have an HP computer where the CDrom tray does not open, i have to put a paperclip to open the tray. and if i put a CD inside, the tray starts to work perfectly... it open an closes (voodoo magic not 3dfx voodoo!)

On other 2 cdroms i have, if i put the cdrom flat on surface it will not read the disc, but if i put cdrom in vertical position it starts to read the disc!

i feel like this is some kind of Ancient aliens technology, that needs a tv episode

any of you know how to fix this?

ancient-aliens-1.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't explain the reading problem, but the tray opening problem sounds like the gears might need some grease.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote:

guys any of you have experience fixing CD-roms from year 2000-2010 ?

I have an HP computer where the CDrom tray does not open, i have to put a paperclip to open the tray. and if i put a CD inside, the tray starts to work perfectly... it open an closes (voodoo magic not 3dfx voodoo!)

Broken sensor or microswitch issue, possibly also firmware. Something doesn't tell the CD-ROM drive it is closed or open when there's no disc, but if it detects a disc something else tells it it can open and close.

Cleaning out dust might help a bit.

Reply 4 of 10, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For the tray, if it uses a rubber band to couple the motor to the tray gears, it's probably rotted. For the reading issue, some old portable CD players have problems like that. A lot of times it can be related to the disc clamp that usually hangs from the top lid. Bent? Smooth movement of the carriage is of course the other obvious place to look.

Reply 6 of 10, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cga.8086 wrote:

I have an HP computer where the CDrom tray does not open, i have to put a paperclip to open the tray. and if i put a CD inside, the tray starts to work perfectly... it open an closes

Yeah, I've noticed this phenomenon with many desktop optical drives from about 10-20 years ago. Drive is empty, you push the eject button, and there's a slight "clunk" sound like it's TRYING to open, but is getting caught on something. Leave a disc in the drive (or in my case, one of those clear protective spacers from a stack of CD-R media) allows it to open or close just fine. I personally don't know the exact cause (although I would suspect breakdown of the tray mechanism lubrication, as others have stated), nor have I ever tried to fix this problem since, like you and I have both discovered, simply leaving a disc or blank spacer in the drive seems to be a workable solution.

Reply 7 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's usually a magnetic clasp that keeps the CD in contact with the spindle motor.

Over time, the lubrication breaks down, and the belts+pulleys get slippery, and eventually it just can't overcome the forces holding everything in place.

Like any magnet, the attraction force decreases exponentially with distance, so the disk adding that 1-2mm gap is enough to keep things moving.

The correct fix is to re-lubricate the rails and drivetrain, and replace the belts, but leaving a disk in there is simple and effective.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 10, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A 26-and-a-half-fucking-minute video to explain "a potential eject issue and fix". That's why I hate Youtube "instructions videos". Most of them are just a bunch of blabbermouths who enjoy listening to their own voice.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 10 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote:

A 26-and-a-half-fucking-minute video to explain "a potential eject issue and fix". That's why I hate Youtube "instructions videos". Most of them are just a bunch of blabbermouths who enjoy listening to their own voice.

shh, you are scaring the clouds away

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction