VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my search for a good retropc inhave found an IBM 300GL. I love the IBM feeling in the retrocomputing...not absolute performance but retrocomputing with a lot of “history”.

So, thi computer is the 6282 model: miditower for save space, BX chipset with one isa (for soundblaster and 3 pci for graphic card and more. PentiumII/III until 500mhz. Good external shape and very low price...

may i buy it???

Reply 1 of 45, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had one that came with a Slot 1 Celeron 366, integrated S3 video and no other expansion card.
After installing a sound card, it was kinda nice, but since I had non oem slot 1 I chose to sell that one. Still that machine ain't bad, it's more or less what you'd expect from a late 90's OEM machine, nothing fancy but nothing bad.

The only "bad" thing is that the integrated S3 video has a bug with the darks that look brighter and that when integrated video is present you don't have any AGP slot. However for a slow/mid slot 1 no AGP doesn't mean that the machine is absolutely crippled, it just means finding a good video card for this class of machine is going to be a bit harder.

It's a cool machine so you shouldn't be worried too much.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 45, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mine had a spot for AGP slot, but the AGP slot wasn't on the riser board, it was on the motherboard itself meaning it's probably using some of these video cards with a tiny square bracket (having this type of video card might not be really better than having just PCI as an option for video actually)

As for ISA, mine had 2 ISA and 3 PCI, but one PCI/ISA slot was sharing the bracket with the other so you could only use either 1 ISA card and 3 PCI cards or 2 ISA cards and 2 PCI cards.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 45, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah I see.

Well I guess except for the looks being different, the rest remains the same

Reply 6 of 45, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there is not a minitower of both agp and isa, agp OR isa

A part of this, i think is not a extremely performance pc, but for games, even 3D with vodoo or 3D ‘90 years can be ok... or not?

Reply 7 of 45, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Absolutely ! it has i440BX so the performance cannot just be bad x)

I ran Half Life in software mode on the celeron and it was definitely playable !

Reply 8 of 45, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Computer is arrived, from the factory come with a celeron 366. I tried i P2 400 (100mhz bus deschutes SL3EE) and a P3 500 (100Mhz bus katmai SL37D) but in both cpu the system set the bus apparently at 66mhz instead of 100mhz, even if i set the selector following the instruction printed on the bottom of the case. Models is IBM 300GL 6287 320.

anyone have idea? tnks

Reply 9 of 45, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would look for an IBM 350 desktop or IBM tower Aptiva with win98 logo. A AMD K6 or Pentium CPU.
They are NOT proprietary hardware and easy to work on and inexpensive to buy and upgrade and fix.

Attachments

Reply 10 of 45, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AlessandroB wrote:

In my search for a good retropc inhave found an IBM 300GL. I love the IBM feeling in the retrocomputing...not absolute performance but retrocomputing with a lot of “history”.

So, thi computer is the 6282 model: miditower for save space, BX chipset with one isa (for soundblaster and 3 pci for graphic card and more. PentiumII/III until 500mhz. Good external shape and very low price...

may i buy it???

Good systems. I've got a Celeron 366 system. It was the home system for a long time. It runs Win98 with some updates. Vary reliable and had no hardware issues what so ever. It was my gateway system for quite some time sharing internet over wifi. Ran BeOS and linux on it as well.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 45, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe upgrading the bios to the latest version would let you use 100MHz fsb CPUs ? If not you can still try softfsb I'd say

Reply 12 of 45, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

But on the bottom of the case there is a printed adhesive that indicate 100mhz and 66mhz setting. Why if i need to upgrade the bios?

This is the mainboard and you can see the adhesive on the bottom...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mClLMmxgFXmc … iew?usp=sharing

This is the adhesive...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pnUdcsb0qKEL … iew?usp=sharing

Reply 13 of 45, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I understand, but that's the only thing I can think off right now. Maybe you can do something in the bios as well ?

Or if you can't do anything, try softfsb in windows, it lets you change the FSB on the go and thus you should be able to select 100MHz fsb ^^

Reply 15 of 45, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure that your motherboard uses i440BX chipset? It might be an i440EX as MB has only two DIMM slots and it clearly says on the sticker, that 66MHz version doesn't have DIMM2 slot and onboard audio.

Reply 16 of 45, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SSTV2 wrote:

Are you sure that your motherboard uses i440BX chipset? It might be an i440EX as MB has only two DIMM slots and it clearly says on the sticker, that 66MHz version doesn't have DIMM2 slot and onboard audio.

you make me doubt ... I knew the 300gl was BX ... if it was EX, would it be so bad?

Reply 17 of 45, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i440EX is an entry level chipset, MBs using it are usually limited to 66MHz FSB, if it says FW82443EX on the northbridge, then it's EX 😀
What PLL chip does that motherboard use? Maybe it can be easily modded to run @ 83.3MHz FSB or maybe even 100MHz.