Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fellow vogons/vogoners,

I recently got a Highscreen Alpha 5000 machine gifted:

ALPHA5000.jpg

It was advertised in the July 1997 brochure of the german company VOBIS:

alpha5000_advert.jpg

It seems to have been acquired in the original non-SCSI configuration and had a SUSE Linux installed.
I have updated the hardware to this configuration now:

Alpha 21164 at 500 MHz with 128 MB ECC PS/2 RAM
Soundblaster AWE32 (previously Highscreen Sound Boostar 3D)
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller
ELSA Winner 2000 AVI 3D with S3 Virge/VX
3Com Fast Etherlink TX (3C905B)
36 GB IBM SCSI drive, Plextor SCSI CD-ROM.

I installed Windows NT4 for Alpha with SP6a and FX!32 1.5

I had to take out the Sound Boostar as it's NT4 driver took over the graphics cards IRQ, forcing NT4 back to VGA only.

Now some questions came up:

Generally, what is the latest/recommended hardware that is supported for NT4 Alpha?
Any good NT4 Alpha software sources available? (I could find WinAmp 2.09 and Quake 2 already)

The SB AWE32 runs on the default Soundblaster driver from NT4. The NT4 driver list shows the AWE Synth driver as option but it seems there is no sbawe32.drv for alpha?!?

The Fast Etherlink runs at 10 MBit/s speed. Is that a driver limitation or can I configure this somewhere? (network driver has no property panel)

How much would I gain if I replace the ELSA Winner 2000 with the Diamond Fire GL 1000, mainly regarding e.g. Quake 2 / OpenGL.

Someone ported a Voodoo2 driver for Alpha NT?

Using FX!32 I can install, start and run Diablo I, however if I let FX!32 optimize the code then Diablo can not find it's mpq data file any more.
Someone has hints for running x86 software through FX!32. I know that games were not exactly the focus, though some more should work?

Diablo I runs through the unoptimized FX!32 emulation like on a ~486DX-40 to 486DX2-66.
Native Quake 2 benches in software mode at 640x480 demo1 at 13.3 fps with sound high quality.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 1 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

Native Quake 2 benches in software mode at 640x480 demo1 at 13.3 fps with sound high quality.

this puts it at may 1997 Pentium II 233 speed, makes whole ordeal kinda pointless.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 5, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm Windows is rather useless on Alpha.

Maybe you would like to run something like FreeBSD 4.4 on it.
Then you can compile Doom, Quake and other Stuff.
And get Native Speed instead of ugly Emulation 😀
Also getting the Option to run OHCI NEC USB Card and some other Hardware,

You can also run Windows 2000 RC2 on it. Same issues.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 3 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote:

Maybe you would like to run something like FreeBSD 4.4 on it.

Well, there are plenty of free IDs on SCSI for more disks where other OSes can be installed. Though one project at a time.

So what can I run on NT Alpha?
What would be a good Dev environment where I can compile Doom/Quake and other Stuff on AlphaNT as well?

Is FX!32 more compatible with Windows 2000 RC2?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 5, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice machine, indeed.
Is Digital Unix/Tru64 supported on it?

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.