VOGONS

First post, by vga256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. I've got a PB Legend 610 486 SX-25. The NiCad battery began to leak, so I swapped it out with a NiMH battery of the same voltage and fit. The machine worked well for a few months, until it very recently began showing a "fixed disk controller failure" on boot. I've tried several different drives with the board, and all of them produce this error message regardless of the disk geometry settings in BIOS.

So I ordered a replacement board from eBay. This one arrived with battery leakage corrosion, which I cleaned up. It has *exactly the same* disk controller failure as my original board. What are the chances both boards suffer the exact same failure?

Can anyone give me some troubleshooting ideas on narrowing down what's causing the hard drive controller failure? I thought the controller is on the drive itself, not on the board?

Thanks!

IMG_3417.jpg
Filename
IMG_3417.jpg
File size
197.03 KiB
Views
File comment
BIOS error
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_3411.jpg
Filename
IMG_3411.jpg
File size
1.84 MiB
Views
File comment
battery corrosion (before)
File license
Last edited by vga256 on 2019-05-15, 21:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Disk controller failure" can be as simple as incorrect CHS settings (due to loss of CMOS data) or a dead/dying HDD. What happens if you attach the same drive with the same settings to a different system?

Reply 3 of 11, by vga256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the ideas so far. Just tested the drive (Seagate ST3120A) in my Pentium 100, and it works fine with the same CHS settings and IDE cable.

Any other ideas on figuring out the source of the controller error on my PB400 board?

Reply 4 of 11, by vga256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:

A few pics of the motherboard:

IMG_3425-cmp.jpg
Filename
IMG_3425-cmp.jpg
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File comment
Top side of board
File license
IMG_3426-cmp.jpg
Filename
IMG_3426-cmp.jpg
File size
914.1 KiB
Views
File comment
Underside of board
File license
IMG_3427-cmp.jpg
Filename
IMG_3427-cmp.jpg
File size
695.17 KiB
Views
File comment
Battery location and corrosion
File license

Reply 8 of 11, by vga256

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FWIW, I sold this board to someone with better soldering skills than I - he repaired several corroded traces on the PCB due to the leaky battery. It took him days to figure out where the traces were broken.