VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The onboard IDE ports on my Lucky Star LS-486 are not working right.
When I select to “Detect Hard-drive” in bios the Hard-drive turns up as a slave.
The Selector pin on the hard-drive is setup to Cable Select, I also tried Master and that did not change anything.
Hard-drive is a NEW WD-5420 540mb IDE hard-drive.
I am using NEW IDE cables and I already swapped them out twice.
The bios setting do not hold and after I select save in bios it restarts with no drives selected /
Hard drive settings in bios do not hold after restart.
New battery, All other setting remain the same just the hard-drive settings do not hold.

What do you think could be wrong ?
IDE Cables ?

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-05-19, 17:59. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

New battery, All other setting remain the same just the hard-drive settings do not hold.

Hi, maybe the "clear CMOS" jumper on the mainboard is set incorrectly ?
It's just a guess. I had it set myself to a wrong position a few times. 😊

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 23, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally the WD drives have a fourth setting (in addition to Master, Slave and CS) called "Single Drive". I found that I need to set that in order to get them to work with older motherboards if there are no other drives in the same chain.

Reply 3 of 23, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Drives with single drive setting that are gonna be alone on the cable need to have that setting used. I haven't had any luck with such drives otherwise.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 23, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your cable has a blue connector, plug that end into the controller/motherboard.
If it has two drive connections, plug the black/far end of the cable to your drive.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 5 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Hi, maybe the "clear CMOS" jumper on the mainboard is set incorrectly ?
It's just a guess. I had it set myself to a wrong position a few times. 😊

I don't see any "clear cmos" setting in the manual or motherboard.
I found an 8gb CF card I am going to try that with old IDE cables form 1993.

What is the difference between the IDE cables with fine wires and the IDE cables with thick wires ?

Reply 6 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now none of the IDE controllers want to work.
They will not work with CDROM , CF card adapter or Hard-drives.
I tried several and none will work so I am almost positive the IDE controllers are not working.
But the Floppy drive works fine.
See this photo and tell me what jumper “W1” is for ?
Also does anyone know if there is a Clear CMOS jumper on this motherboard ( lucky star LS-486e , rev. C ?
I need to know what jumpers JP19, JP13 and W1 are for ?

Attachments

Reply 7 of 23, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

What is the difference between the IDE cables with fine wires and the IDE cables with thick wires ?

80 wire IDE cables are required for UDMA33 (mode 2) or higher.
40 wire cables will normally limit the controller to lower speeds to prevent corruption.

Reply 8 of 23, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote:
Intel486dx33 wrote:

80 wire IDE cables are required for UDMA33 (mode 2) or higher.
40 wire cables will normally limit the controller to lower speeds to prevent corruption.

Actually, 80 wire IDE cables are needed for UDMA66.

UDMA33 works just fine with 40 wire cables.

Reply 14 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I tried this same setup with a different motherboard and same results.
So the problem is not the motherboard but either IDE ribbons, or CD, or floppy drive ?
The CDROM works fine when booting off a DOS boot floppy.
Floppy drive seems to work fine.
It’s just the hard-drive that comes up as a slave drive. But when I save setting in bios and restart from boot drive
And perform fdisk, No drive found error message appears.
The Hard-drive settings do not retain. So NO drive found.
I am confused. I have tried different motherboards, ribbons, and drives with the same results.

Any Ideas ?

Reply 15 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone have any Ideas what to try next ?
I have the same problem using 2 different motherboards ?

Attachments

Reply 16 of 23, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is wrong with the IDE controller on my 486 motherboards ?
I have swapped out everything but that power supply and I still can’t get them to work.
The IDE ribbons I am using are 40-pin with only 2 connections. Motherboard and Drive.
I have my drives set to Cable select.
But the bios only sees my drives as Slaves ?
The CDROM and Floppy work fine. Just my Hard-drives are not working in Slave mode when I have the jumpers set to Cable Select. They will not work in Master setting alone.

Attachments

Reply 17 of 23, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to make sure the drives are set to single drive if they have that option, rather than master.

Other things:
a) If you have ANY known good working drive, you should definitely try it on these systems.
b) If you still have trouble, get yourself a copy of XT-IDE onto a rom chip, and put it on a compatible ethernet card. This does auto-detection of your hard drives and is compatible with mostly anything. I use this on my 486's to use nice, quiet 250 gig WD drives in them rather than nasty old noisy used period correct drives (well thats how I feel about the noise they make)

Reply 19 of 23, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

I don’t know what is wrong. I tried everything. I can’t get these 486 motherboards to work with these IDE drives.

Everything?

Twice now you've been told that Cable Select will NOT work with a single drive on the cable if that drive differentiates between "Single" and "Master" settings, as your drive probably does. You haven't mentioned anything about trying that and just keep repeating that you set to Cable Select. Have you tried setting it to "Single Drive" instead of Cable Select?