VOGONS

First post, by flonky_tash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm very new to this forum so I hope I've posted in the right area...

I need some help identifying this motherboard:

IMG_2814.JPG
Filename
IMG_2814.JPG
File size
1.98 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I recently aquired this board which came with an Intel 486DX2-66 CPU but I'm trying to upgrade it with a AM486 DX4-100.

It works fine with the DX2 but when I put in the DX4 it holds on boot up straight after the floppy drive check with PC speaker making a continuous "stuttering" beep that never ends.

I think I probably need to move some pins around in order to get the DX4 working with it, or the maybe perhaps the CPU is dead? Looking closely at the pin settings it should be able to accept the DX4 though.

Any advice anyone can provide me with will be very much appreciated!

Reply 1 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DX4 is a 3.3V CPU, while the Intel DX2 is 5V, so you need to change the jumpers in order to set the correct voltage or you may damage the DX4. Do you have a manual or at least the jumper settings for that board?

Reply 2 of 3, by flonky_tash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I thought that might of been the case with the voltages.

Sadly I do not have the manual. I was hoping someone could help me indentify the board so I could try and find it online. I've tried searching the AMIBIOS and those OPTi chip numbers but can't seem to find anything.

I can try and a clear picture of the jumber settings if that helps? It isn't too clear to me if I'm setting the correct ones.