VOGONS

First post, by uscleo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys,

So I've been trying to get my IBM luggable P70 to play nice with a Backpack CDROM connected through the parallel port and a MCA Bus MCMaster Card made by Kingston.

Initially, the Kingston MCMaster card threw errors with its default configuration as soon as I installed the backpack cdrom drive. After some reading, it turns out that the MCMaster sometimes has conflicts with other peripherals such as memory expansion cards and there is an option to have the MCMaster card to come online only after it is called in config.sys

As the backpack cdrom drive needs to load a driver though config.sys, I figured that perhaps if I load the backpack first then the MCMaster, whatever memory conflict they were having should be resolved as the backpack has already loaded itself into memory and then the MCmaster loads being aware of the presence of the Backpack driver.

I made the above changes, and it did work, but only to an extent. It will boot to dos and I can access the cdrom drive, look at text files etc., but as soon as I launch any real program (eg., not edit or chkcpu, but say for example sysinfo or windows 3.11) the computer seems to crash and the C:\> appears, but the keyboard is frozen.

If I load the MCmaster first then try to load Himem then the backpack in config.sys, the system hangs as its tried to run the backpack .sys file.

Anyone have any idea where to begin with this? I booted with the reference diskette and tried playing with the I/O select, the Arbitration Level, the Interrupt Level, and the memory mapping options for the MCmaster, but they all yielded the same hang when trying to run a program. Also tried to change the parallel port from parallel 1 to parallel 2 but this did not change anything either.

Any ideas on where I should start to look to see what might be causing the issues?

Here is what it looks like when its done booting, all seems ok until I run a program
IMG-4539.jpg

Here's the boot process showing the order of the items being loaded
IMG-4538.jpg

Here's the IBM reference diskette options with the MCmaster installed
IMG-4533.jpg

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!!