VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
after finally having all the peaces for my 486 Dx2 together I fiannly wanted to play DOOM on it. Everything works fine except the Game FX sound. I can select Sound Canvas and my Roland SC-88VL works just fine. However I do not get any FX sound for shooting etc.

I replaced the Maestro 32/96 with a AWE64. The FX sounds work with the AWE64. So it seems to me for some reason the Maestreo 32/96 is not compatible with DOOM?!

Can anyone confirm this? Is there a way around this? I really want to use the Maestro in my setup. I'd hate to replace it with anything else.
Would it alternativle be possible to have two sound cards install in the system? Which sound card would you recommend?

Thx for your help!

Reply 3 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can check later as I have the card on my desk.

Otherwise Maestro 32/96 has also built-in wavetable synthesizer with 4MB ROM that is GM compatible. There is no need for external SC 😉

Some info here:
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Maestro_32/96

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 13, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did not manage to get it work with doom, and decided to go with my yamaha ymf719e based labway lwha151a00. I read this card has overall very good soundblaster compatibility.
Regarding the built in synthesizer... Yeah I know that, but nothing beats the original 😉

Reply 5 of 13, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did it work in other games? Did you follow: http://terratec.ultron.info/Audio/Maestro/329 … tm#Question%201:

Especially the parts concerning PnP and,TERRATEC.EXE and troubleshooting when you have no sound?

YouTube

Reply 6 of 13, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After having been away for a couple of days I am back home now and somehow this issue with the soundcard is still botherhing me. I did follow through, but I'll do it again. Maybe I have missed something. I simply want this soundcard to work 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tested the card in my Win95, P-133 machine. It works fine in DOS box and in pure DOS.

In pure DOS you have to initialize the card with TERRATEC I in c:\M32 directory (there I installed the drivers). Check the BLASTER variable for SB settings. I have default:

BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T4

You can try to set the default settings in Terratec software. Go to Special menu and select "Reset to factory defaults". After reprogramming the EEPROM just reboot and reinitialize the card. You can check the current setting with "terratec -V".

I hope this helps a bit 😉

Reply 8 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
skel2raw wrote:

Regarding the built in synthesizer... Yeah I know that, but nothing beats the original 😉

It's a waste of Maestro 32/96 card. For "just" SB compatibility there are other card like already mentioned Yamaha series.

Reply 9 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Obviously the Maestro 32/96 is broken, and you are not worthy of it. Please send it to me.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 10 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote:
Just tested the card in my Win95, P-133 machine. It works fine in DOS box and in pure DOS. […]
Show full quote

Just tested the card in my Win95, P-133 machine. It works fine in DOS box and in pure DOS.

In pure DOS you have to initialize the card with TERRATEC I in c:\M32 directory (there I installed the drivers). Check the BLASTER variable for SB settings. I have default:

BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T4

You can try to set the default settings in Terratec software. Go to Special menu and select "Reset to factory defaults". After reprogramming the EEPROM just reboot and reinitialize the card. You can check the current setting with "terratec -V".

I hope this helps a bit 😉

Adding some photos:

l6Tamaim.jpg

To get full GUI for settings (like the last two photos) just run TERRATEC.EXE in the c:\M32

Reply 11 of 13, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I went through the guide again and did not manage to get the FX sound to work. I then decided to simply format my harddisk and installed dos + Win3.11 + drivers again. This time it worked. I guess something was messed up with my system. The music sounds really nice! The FX sound with the Maestro is - at least in my memory - a little different then to what I remember from my SB16 back in the old days.

Anyways, thank you for your help! I bookmarked the guide you linked above. I have the feeling that it might be useful one day again 😀

Reply 12 of 13, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just figured out that I have FX sound with DOOM 1 but not with DOOM 2. I have tried all the DOOM 2 versions I have but did not manage to get the FX sound to work. I guess for some reason this soundcard is not compatible with DOOM 2. Did you try playing DOOM 2 with it?

Reply 13 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible. I already put the card away... but I can try it again over the next weekend.