VOGONS

First post, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wanted one of those satellite laptops especially a25-s207 since it has desktop cpu,win 98 drivers,one is locally for 35 USD, it will be mainly for year 1997-2001 gaming.
However the one thats listed is for parts only, otherwise it is in mint condition, I want to ask what could be wrong with the laptop based on windows blue screen. Memory or HDD maybe ? 😕

I just can't decide 😊

Attachments

• 104517440 (1).jpg
    Filename
    104517440 (1).jpg
    File size
    56.52 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This is where it locks up.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 104517440 (2).jpg
    Filename
    104517440 (2).jpg
    File size
    41.9 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    It seems to POST ok so i guess the motherboard is alright ?
    File license
  • 104517440.jpg
    Filename
    104517440.jpg
    File size
    39.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    It's in good condition, no cracks and every screw is inlcuded.
    File license

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 1 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Or maybe it's just windows that's have been trashed by years of crapwares and malwares, and the owner doesn't know or want to bother to fix it and thus he presents if "for parts".

To be entirely sure, why not just ask him what's wrong ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 10, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Or maybe it's just windows that's have been trashed by years of crapwares and malwares, and the owner doesn't know or want to bother to fix it and thus he presents if "for parts".

To be entirely sure, why not just ask him what's wrong ?

I have asked, he just told me "I can't give you more info since I don't know anything about it what so ever.It's as is."

That's why Iam so hesitant. 😊

Reply 3 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this off ebay?
"Parts only" means the seller doesn't have to accept returns. Technically used the buyer is always entitled to return the item.

It's a gamble. but the fact its got a screen and not as integrated as more modern laptops will mean swapping parts will be easier.
BUT then it is a laptop and demand for old laptops isn't high as long as you don't mind waiting

Reply 4 of 10, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In my experience there's about an 80% chance it's fine, but that 20% is money pit time.

Find out what the fourth symbol on the diagnostic screen is, it seems to be the one crossed out. It might be RAM, but if it had no RAM you wouldn't get the other error message.

The error message implies it can't read the drive, if you're lucky it's the drive, if not it's the drive controller.

I hope it has a power supply included.

It all depends on whether $35 is a lot or a little for you. If it's a little, go for it, it's nice to have a clean case, screen and keyboard on a project laptop.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 6 of 10, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for everything guys, it will arrive today, we will see if it works 😊

Reply 7 of 10, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It works 😊 the HDD sounded like jet engine, I threw it away, put an original 40gb toshiba replacement disk in and it works like champ 😀 (however its slooooow in 3D games, like really slow) 😁

Reply 8 of 10, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Scha-weet! Well, not the slow part, but that's kind of expensive, it's business class not gaming (almost unheard of in those days) or workstation (rare in those days but I just got my Compaq 9440, which is a retro workstation).

I hope it works well for your purposes!

*Too* *many* *things*!